<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

11.17.2008

A whole bowlful

I had intended to talk about dessert today. You’ve been extremely kind about the recent vegetable recipe bonanza around here, and to thank you, I wanted to bake you something especially nice. You deserve it. So I made a pan of gingerbread. The recipe was new to me, but it looked delicious: good and spicy, with rum-soaked raisins and crystallized ginger and orange zest and a pretty glaze. I just knew you would love it. I was very excited. To make sure it was worthy, I cut a couple of slices to eat after dinner the other night, while we sat on the couch with a DVD of Dog Whisperer, hoping that Cesar Millan might, god willing, help us understand why Jack is so weird sometimes. But unfortunately, it wasn’t very good. I mean, Cesar was fine - calm-assertive, as usual - but the gingerbread was only so-so. It tasted a little too strongly of molasses, and the glaze was too sweet. Actually, I think the first word that came to mind was meh.

I really am sorry. I tried.

But on the upside, the Parade of Underappreciated Vegetables marches on! Or rolls on! Or tumbles on! Or whatever it is that kohlrabi does.


Up until about a week ago, I did not expect to ever say the word kohlrabi on this site. I had eaten it three or four times, usually sliced thinly and dunked in aioli or vinaigrette, and though it was pleasant, I didn’t feel particularly inspired to buy it again. It has a very nice flavor - a cross between a cabbage and a broccoli stem, but milder and sweeter than both - but still, I was unmoved. It seemed unapproachable, difficult somehow. It always caught my eye at the farmers’ market, but more as a sort of vegetal artwork than anything else. To me, it was kind of like Damien Hirst’s dead shark in formaldehyde, the one that’s on display right now at the Met: interesting to look at, even beautiful to some, but at the end of the day, a little too weird. (Is that a bad comparison? Yes?)

But the weekend before last, I went to Wordstock, a literary festival in Portland, and while I was there, I met Ivy Manning, author of The Farm to Table Cookbook. Over the past few months, a couple of you have e-mailed me about her book, telling me how wonderful it is, and I thought she might like to know, so I told her. (Thank you, by the way, for giving me something to say to her; I am sometimes a little shy.) She was warm and funny and down-to-earth, and the two of us got chatting, and somehow we wound up on the subject of kohlrabi. I have no idea how it happened, but it did, and I am now forever indebted to her, because in the course of that conversation, she told me about a recipe in her book, a recipe for a kohlrabi salad that, as of lunchtime today, officially changed everything.


In fact, between Brandon and I, we ate almost a whole bowlful - normal yield: 6 servings - in a single sitting. I don’t know why it took me so long to warm to kohlrabi, but I think I made up for it today. Ivy’s recipe, which comes from Chef Fearn Smith of The Farm Café in Portland, makes a bright, refreshing salad that could win over any skeptic, myself included. Actually, when Ivy was describing it to me, she referred to it as “The Y Chromosome Salad,” because it has conquered, in particular, so many doubting men. You just peel and julienne a carrot and two kohlrabi - a slightly tricky venture, admittedly, since kohlrabi is quite hard, but it’s well worth the effort - and then you dress them with a mixture of rice vinegar, olive oil, toasted sesame oil, and ground toasted fennel seeds. What results is wonderfully cool and crunchy and light, a taste of high summer in the middle of fall. The dressing is gently Asian-inspired, but it gets a twist of intrigue from the sweet, fragrant fennel seeds, and the crispness of the kohlrabi is oddly addictive - a bit like water chestnuts or jicama, only less watery and with more flavor.

I ate mine with a peanut butter sandwich, if you really want to know, and though the pairing was not promising, it was somehow completely delicious. Brandon ate his portion with some chickpeas and slices of sharp cheddar, and he pronounced it especially tasty with the cheese. It would be terrific, I think, with roasted chicken or fish, or even with a grilled cheese sandwich. Or a turkey sandwich. Or absolutely anything.


P.S. If you’d like to take a peek, artist Stephanie Levy posted an interview with me on her site. (I had so much fun, Stephanie. Thank you.) And over at slow blogs, Monna said some very kind things about this site. (Thanks, Monna! What a sweet surprise.) And boiled kale had a day in the sun on nytimes.com. (Huzzah, kale!)



Kohlrabi Salad
Adapted from The Farm to Table Cookbook, by Ivy Manning, and Chef Fearn Smith of The Farm Café

Kohlrabi is available almost year-round, and lately my farmers’ market has some particularly gorgeous specimens. When choosing kohlrabi, be sure to look for nice, hard bulbs. If the leaves are still attached, all the better: they’re an indicator of freshness. (If the leaves are yellow or wilted, don’t buy it.) Oh, and try not to buy the huge ones: their flavor is often stronger and less sweet than the smaller or more moderate-sized specimens.

Also, note that I left out the pea shoots when I made this. And I added garlic. I’m sure it would be wonderful with the shoots, but they would have required a special trip to the Asian market downtown. So I went ahead without them, and I wasn’t the least bit sorry.

2 medium red or green kohlrabi bulbs
1 large carrot, peeled
1 tsp. fennel seed
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt, or more to taste
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 small garlic clove, pressed (optional)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 cups pea shoots (optional)

Trim away any stems from the kohlrabi bulb. Using a sharp chef’s knife or a sharp vegetable peeler, cut and discard away its tough outer skin. Then julienne the kohlrabi, using either a mandolin or the same sharp knife. (Because kohlrabi is hard and dense, I found the mandolin to be a bit precarious, so I used a little of both.) Julienne the carrot too.

In a small dry skillet, toast the fennel seeds over medium heat until they begin to brown slightly and smell toasty. Transfer them to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, and grind them into a coarse powder.

In a small bowl, combine the fennel seeds, vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic, if using. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and sesame oil. Pour over the vegetables and toss to coat. Taste, and add more salt, if needed.

Chop the pea shoots, if using, into 1-inch pieces and toss into the salad immediately before serving.

Yield: 6 servings

71 Comments:

OpenID rachelk said...

This might be the tipping point for me too, which you do so well with all things I have yet to experience! I a excited for it, but not as excited for a certain pizza place to open! Baited breath indeed!

8:46 PM, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Jesse said...

Well, I for one am not partial to sweet things and am very partial to kohlrabi (ie, hooray for the vegetable dishes! thank you!). I planted a bunch of this winter and have been hunting down recipes for it - this one sounds perfect!

9:08 PM, November 17, 2008  
Blogger A Day That Is Dessert said...

I have never even tried kohlrabi...you've piqued my curiosity!

9:14 PM, November 17, 2008  
Anonymous thehungryengineer (april) said...

I actually really love kohlrabi, and this recipe looks wonderful! We ate it raw growing up, but my preferred method of preparing it lately has been to dice or julienne it, saute till a bit browned and tender, then toss it with a bit of salt, pepper, and browned butter.

9:15 PM, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

I've always wondered what to do with that funny looking vegetable. Thanks!

10:07 PM, November 17, 2008  
Anonymous corie said...

Hi Molly,

I wanted to comment on your PS note. I can't help but feel oh-so-proud of you! I love that you are so popular and stay so grounded. Thank you! Oh, and kohlrabi? I thought the only connection I would have with this vegetable is saying its fun name..now I must try it!

11:04 PM, November 17, 2008  
Anonymous Sonja said...

I love kohlrabi! I discovered it for myself some time ago and have tried to prepare it in several ways since, for example in a soufflé, or in a mild curry sauce. So I am grateful for any kohlrabi recipe, and your salad certainly sounds fantastic!

12:54 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger shari said...

i'm excited for a new kohlrabi recipe. a taste of summer in the fall is always appreciated. ;) lovely interview over at stephanie's too. tom has made a new beer....called hocloc (hints of coriander, loads of cascade). i wish you and b could come over to try it. xx

4:52 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Sarah Yost said...

The New York Times! You go, lady!

5:04 AM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous L*Joy said...

Hoorah for Kohlrabi! Almost a year ago, I posted about it sautéed. I love this salad idea! Any which way, Kohlrabi deserves more praise.
Sautéed Kohlrabi

5:08 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger tim_g said...

you were in the nytimes! well on mark bittman's blog. still, pretty awesome.

5:20 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Ellen said...

I adore fennel seeds...am always sneaking them into things--so the salad with them sounds great. :) I also am a huge molasses fan, and love molasses-y gingerbread... (I just made gingerbread the other day, the Joy of Cooking recipe, and it made me very happy...I think gingerbread is my favorite cake...) But...should you find your perfect gingerbread recipe, with less of a molasses whollop, would like to give it a go.

5:23 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Gemma said...

I've never had kohlrabi but I'm tempted. And much as I enjoy all the sweet things these few weeks of underappreciated vegetables have been wonderful.

6:01 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger hannah said...

here is where i admit my ignorance publicly. i have heard of kohlrabi, but never seen it, so in my mind it was some different version of broccoli rabe. kinda makes sense, huh? ok, it doesn't. it does sound delightful, but knowing my kitchen knives, i'm going to have to get a better one before i try to julienne anything hard. :)

ps. when are we going to start talking cookies hm?

6:42 AM, November 18, 2008  
OpenID katek said...

Funny; just last week I dealt with my latest CSA kohlrabi by shaving it into thin slices with a vegetable peeler and dressing it with sesame oil, rice vinegar and a drop of soy. It was great--must be a natural pairing.

6:49 AM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous Katharine said...

I always thought that kohlrabi was like kale - green and leafy. Thanks for the reality check!

7:14 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger My Year Without said...

I am a molasses freak and would be very interested in your gingerbread recipe. If it calls for sugar, I will of course have to substitute with a natural sweetener as my year without sugar is not quite over!

Thanks!

8:07 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger jbeach said...

So interesting! I am now eager to try kohlrabi -- I love trying new vegetables and appreciate the inspiration.

Raiding your recipe list, as I so often do, I made FOUR of your sweet treats for a trip to West Virginia a couple of weekends ago...they were undoubtedly the talk of the weekend so double, no quadruple thanks!!
There's no shortage of amazing sweet/dessert-ish recipes on your site so I'm grateful for the influx of veggie recipes! You have impeccable taste! :)

8:12 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Jiru said...

I love kohlrabi too, but hardly ever see it in the market. My mom used to grow it in our garden, but I don't think I've had it as an adult. I really need to know how to pronounce it, though. Is it like coal-rabbi, call-robby, coal-robby? Help! :-)

8:22 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks for this! We'll try it soon ... maybe for tonight's potluck? Usually we slice it and eat it with a bit of salt and olive oil -- or grate it into an autumn slaw. Some of my older eastern European customers talk about boiling it and mashing it like potatoes, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm always happy for recipes to pass out at market, especially for our funkier vegetables. We're nearing the end of market season this year -- but starting a CSA next year! Expect lots of site visits from our CSA members :)

8:39 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger shayna said...

oh thank you! i've been gorging myself (can you say gorging when referring to vegetables?!) on this roasted kohlrabi and butternut squash recipe and have been looking to branch out. on a side note, your boiled kale and egg has become my comfort food...keep the vegetable recipes coming!

8:56 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger AuntJoan said...

Your peanut butter sandwich pairing made perfect sense to me. I have only eaten kohlrabi two ways: plain or smeared with peanut butter!

9:26 AM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous Eric Vincill said...

It would go great with roasted chicken!! In fact I make a version of this salad with broccoli and carrot slaw, instead of Kohlrabi in which you add cold roasted chicken shredded (preferably leftover from the previous evening's roasted chicken if there is any left) and a sweet/vinegar asian dressing similar to the one you describe. In fact adding the cold chicken turns into a filling lunch by itself.

9:39 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Miss Kate said...

I've seen those pretty little vegetables in my local Asian grocery, but I've never fathomed what to do with them.

Now, I know they can be more than a photography project!

9:45 AM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous tony said...

Thank you, thank you! I have been scared to buy both kale and kohlrabi at the market here. Now I have no excuses! Not one but two recipes including these fearsome vegetables!

Both the wilted kale (boerenkol here in the Netherlands) and kohlrabi are in plentiful supply.

So off to the market....

10:19 AM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous Maija said...

I think I may have bought a kohlrabi years ago in college at the Bellingham farmers' market. No idea how I ate it - probably raw, I'm guessing. In my mind, I lump it together with jicama, so I'd love to try it again.

In high school, my friend's answering machine (which dates me, huh - teens nowadays probably all have cell phones w/voicemail) message for a long time had an excerpt from a Strawberry Shortcake book-on-tape that was the Purple Pieman saying "kohrabi cookies are the yum-yum-yummiest". So, that always comes to mind now when I hear kohrabi! Such a funny association, and oddly enough it's even referenced in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Shortcake_in_Big_Apple_City

10:31 AM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous heather said...

Molly, I love Ivy Manning's book too (posted about it here), but have not picked it up since the season changed. Now I must do so because I love kohlrabi. When I lived in Basel, Switzerland (gulp, 15 years ago) my boss made it regularly. She braised slices in white wine and broth then added a little butter when the liquid had reduced. I thought it was heavenly. My biggest regret is that I did not write down all of her wonderful recipes when I was there. Thanks for being a consistent inspiration!

11:02 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Alina said...

I'll admit, I am surprised by the bounty of posts on the "less glamorous" veggies. But I also love it! The kale was delicious...we made it twice. I can't to take kohlrabi for a spin.

11:17 AM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger PegLeg said...

We planted a bunch of kohlrabi this year and have used it in a kohlrabi and apple slaw to top pulled pork sandwiches. If you have a mandoline you can always use that to julienne the kohlrabi, just make sure you use the guard because sometimes it likes to fight back.

12:08 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Caty said...

As someone who would have a slice of cake for dinner and follow it with another slice for dessert I feel I shouldn't admit how much I've been loving your vegetable-y posts. The kale was absolutely divine (and one of the few things I would pick over something sweet) and I look forward to making this because although I do really like kohlrabi, I never really know what to do with it.

12:36 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Fable Press said...

Yay for summery recipes that transform a fall afternoon into a reason to eat peanut butter sandwiches (a very summer tradition for me).

12:55 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Joanna said...

Keep the parade coming! More underappreciated vegetables please! Seriously, I've gotten used to preparing vegetables simply, either roasting or sauteing with olive oil, salt and pepper - which almost always yields good results, but it can get kind of boring. Your recent series of posts have reminded me that each vegetable is unique, and with a little TLC its best qualities can really be enhanced.

BTW, I made the kale last night, and it was out of this world. I spread a little goat cheese on the garlic-rubbed toast before spooning the kale over it, and I'd highly recommend this addition. I'm so glad I have leftover kale to make it again tonight!!

1:10 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger indigo said...

Count me in as another fan who almost always prefers veggie ideas over sweet things. I love it that you're showcasing some of the more obscure veggies! I've never cooked savoy cabbage or kohlrabi before, & now thanks to you I will. What could be more exciting than a new ingredient?!

3:10 PM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous Haley said...

Never had kohlrabi, but I'm tempted to try it now!

3:33 PM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous Dana McCauley said...

It has been literally years since I even thought about buying or making a recipe with kohlrabi - thanks for reminding me!

I usually can only get the light green variety in my store.

3:52 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Penelope Roo said...

Oh, you are such a dessert tease!

:-)

4:08 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Anne Zimmerman said...

I have a most fabulous gingerbread recipe. Really, it is the very best! I am happy to share:
http://poeticappetite.blogspot.com/
Look for post on October 20, thankfully I don't update so frequently so it is right at the top!

5:11 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Anna Be said...

I loved reading your interview, it was very insightful and inspiring. Its also great to have some inspiration for winter vegetables! Thank you!

5:24 PM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous Emily said...

I'm even more excited about this than the gingerbread recipe, as I've also always felt kind of meh about kohlrabi, but now you have totally inspired me to make this! I can't wait to report back!

5:31 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, that does sound ... weird! Yet intriguing, and another winter vegetable to add to the repertoire would be very welcome. Should I be embarrassed to admit that I've never heard of kohlrabi before? Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to trying it!

6:48 PM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous RedWattle said...

I love kohlrabi! My favorite preparation is with goat cheese and dill, but this slaw sounds wonderful. I've also recently discovered that the kohlrabi greens are quite tasty if you find them still attached. They taste a bit like collard greens and can be prepared in the same ways.

7:11 PM, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous jules said...

thanks for keeping the veggie posts rolling molly... am loving the exploration.. have always wanted to try kohlrabi and now i'll know what to do with it when I get it home

7:42 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Jeff said...

The march of under appreciated is a fine topic. I haven't tried your drunken kale yet, but it's on the list when kale comes back around in rotation. Kale, cabbage, beets and squash have been my recent playthings. And kohlrabi experiments may have to come before the drunken kale.

Dessert is always appreciated too, though!

Thanks for the great posts.

http://chowplay.blogspot.com/

8:42 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Clare said...

Well, I, for one, am THRILLED with all the veggie postings lately!! I completely prefer them to the sweet recipes...although I am sure those are fabulous, too. I just REALLY like my veggies. :)
I am also OVER THE MOON about the fact you are a fan of all my favorite vegetables! Hooray for kale and cabbage and brussel sprouts! Woo Hoo!!
Anyway, thanks for this latest post. I cannot wait to try it!!

10:34 PM, November 18, 2008  
Blogger stephanie levy said...

Thanks Molly. It was great having you as a guest in my interview series - and many people have already written about how much they enjoyed reading your responses!

And yes - kohlrabi is very popular here in Germany. We were just talking the other day about how much more common it is here than in the States.
Thanks again, S.

7:03 AM, November 19, 2008  
Blogger reya said...

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe Molly. I've seen kohlrabi at the market every week, and always pass it by. This weekend, it'll be on my lunch plate.

7:42 AM, November 19, 2008  
Anonymous Hillary said...

I have never seen kohlrabi in my markets or grocery stores unfortunately because now I want to try this! Would ginger rice vinegar and lemon olive oil work well or would that ruin the flavor?

9:03 AM, November 19, 2008  
Blogger Margaux said...

I've never had kohlrabi, but I may have to try it now! Your beans in cream has convinced me to follow you off the cliff when it comes to vegetables.

Check out this similarly asian-inspired julienne salad that I wrote about last week. It was perfect with a tuna sandwhich.
http://kitchengraffiti.blogspot.com/2008/11/before-its-too-late.html

12:45 PM, November 19, 2008  
Anonymous matt wright said...

I have seen the wacky little thing at markets, but never actually tried it. I think you have convinced me to give it a go - that is a great looking recipe.

1:31 PM, November 19, 2008  
Blogger Love and Destroy said...

Hi, lovely post! I thought you might like this, it's from the Italian online newspaper www.Repubblica.it.

http://ilboemilia.repubblica.it/multimedia/home/3736104/1/17

Ciao,
Roberta

3:43 AM, November 20, 2008  
Blogger michaela said...

Try the gingerbread recipe in Betty Crocker. That's the one my mom always uses. I just baked the Dark Gingerbread with Pears from October's Gourmet. It was good, but I'd add more pear next time.

Check out the Kohlrabi & Squash Empanadas on straightfromthefarm.wordpress.com.

http://straightfromthefarm.wordpress.com/2007/06/17/something-original/

8:30 AM, November 20, 2008  
Blogger Kay Sexton said...

I am au fait with kohlrabi - and not thrilled by gingerbread so that's cool, but I really want to know exactly how Jack is weird ... he looks pretty normal in his photo!

2:11 PM, November 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple bunches of kohlrabi arrived in my CSA box this summer. I shredded it with my Mouli and dressed with mayo and Dijon mustard -- a kohlrabi remoulade, I guess. Yum.
-Lisa

5:10 PM, November 20, 2008  
Anonymous Nutritiontokitchen (Tram) said...

Your veggie dishes look amazing! Love your blog!

12:24 AM, November 21, 2008  
Blogger Hillary said...

Hi Molly,

I am a finalist in the Marx Foods Comfort Food Recipe contest. And yes, I am shamelessly soliciting votes for my “Crab-a-Roni and Cheese” recipe from the foodie blogs I regularly read. I’d really appreciate your vote (only if you think my recipe looks worthy, of course)! Clicking on the link above and selecting my recipe should do it — thanks in advance!

-Hillary

2:33 PM, November 21, 2008  
Blogger Jess said...

Here's a question for you, Molly, or anyone else out there: where can I buy wonderful fig preserves?

I have been craving figs for an entire year, and I live in a place where figs don't grow, and I've never seen them at a grocery store here (though they probably wouldn't be good after so much travel) so I'm resorting to trying to find preserves.
Any help would be much appreciated!
jessica.sapoznick@gmail.com

8:21 PM, November 21, 2008  
Blogger Naja said...

ong time reader, first time poster here. Molly, I love your blog! Everything I've made per your suggestion has been wonderful, particularly the chick pea and parm salad; like vanilla and orange, those flavors magically work together to create something much better than their parts. In appreciation, I'd like to return the favor with a suggestion. I'm a certified professional dog trainer who uses positive reinforcement. I highly encourage you to check out www.apdt.com (The Association of Pet Dog Trainers) to find a positive reinforcement trainer for Jack. Unfortunately, Mr. Milan's methods aren't endorsed by positive reinforcement trainers or most animal behaviorists. Of course, no judgment! But I thought it might be useful information for you. Thanks again!

9:23 PM, November 21, 2008  
Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks for the inspiration. This was on the menu for last night's dinner, except that I couldn't find kohlarbi anywhere (well of the two places that I tried that should've had it if anyone did) in the Boston area. I opted for beets, roasted them and used them instead. It worked out very nicely, and the pea tendrils (same as shoots?) worked very nicely.
chowplay.blogspot.com

6:33 AM, November 23, 2008  
Blogger amisha said...

hi molly,
the comparison of kohlrabi to damien hirst's dead shark was one of the most inspired things i have ever read. thank you for that :)
hope the blues are making way for sunshine this weekend. xox

4:24 PM, November 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

unfortunately, you lost me at fennel seeds. Oh, how I hate those things.

8:01 AM, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Tartelette said...

Your site is the first one I started reading before creating mine and the one I always read first thing on Sunday mornings curled up on the sofa. It's a once a week catch up that I can't miss...like candy cane on Christmas day :)
Great interview!

12:17 PM, November 24, 2008  
Blogger Tina said...

Very interesting! Thanks for the post!

12:26 PM, November 24, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this for lunch yesterday for me and my mother, and we managed to eat two thirds of a 2x recipe... It was delicious. I had never heard of kohlrabi, but now I count it among one of my new favourite veggies.

6:03 PM, November 24, 2008  
Blogger michaela said...

I had this planned for dinner with an Asian marinated skirt skirt steak and bok choy. It didn't make it. I had a plate to taste on its own. Now, for my second plate I'm having it with no-kead rye toast and butter. Half of the bowl is now gone.

4:20 PM, December 05, 2008  
Anonymous Emily said...

Hey --

Just made this tonight, and I'm kind of conflicted. On the one hand, I found the fennel with the sesame oil to be kind of a bizarre combination. On the other hand, I did find it kind of addictive. Would like to make this again with a higher carrot to kohlrabi ratio, and with toasted cumin seeds instead of fennel... But it was nice to eat something fresh tasting in the winter...

Love your blog!

5:00 PM, December 05, 2008  
Anonymous Pacquiao VS De La Hoya FREE Live Video Streaming said...

I thinks this is also another yummy recipe you're sharing!

8:55 AM, December 06, 2008  
Blogger icky said...

Thanks for this recipe. I have been reading your blog for years and I find it strange that kohlrabi is what finally prompted me to post! Simply delish.

2:43 PM, December 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Molly, I was looking for this recipe in your index and couldn't find it. Am I missing it?!

11:31 AM, January 14, 2009  
Blogger Molly said...

Thanks for catching that, Anonymous! I have to input recipes into the index manually, and sometimes I forget. It's there now.

7:46 PM, January 14, 2009  
Anonymous Aisha said...

I guess there must be endless variations on dressings for the kohlrabi-carrot julienne salad. The version I make (from a BBC cooking show but I forget which) calls for mustard and cumin seeds to be fried in hot oil til they sputter. The mix is then poured on the julienned carrots and kohlrabi (half of which would have already been devoured as a snack during the prep). Add lemon juice. Toss. Eat. Or if you have enough patience, refrigerate about half an hour and reap the rewards of your patience (the flavors reach another dimension). Try a "slaw" version with plain/Greek yogurt. Or try it with shredded white cabbage...

7:43 AM, May 14, 2009  
Blogger Erika said...

I wasn't sure where to put this post, so I hope you find it here...I just made your Green Papaya salad recipe from Bon Appetit (May 2010)--but I substituted raw kohlrabi for the papaya. Wow! So yummy! And much easier to find here in the Northeast. I might add a bit of lime zest next time since papaya is more tart than the kohlrabi--but then again, I might leave it exactly the way it is! Thanks for a lovely, light "almost summer I can feel it" dinner.

6:27 PM, April 29, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home