<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

10.21.2008

This old thing

So, have you eaten your boiled kale yet? Because dessert is ready, but you have to finish your vegetables before you can have any. That’s how it works.


I would like to introduce my new favorite dessert. Which, conveniently, is also the most ridiculously easy apple tart I have ever made. Isn’t it charming? In a rustic, “oh, this old thing?” sort of way? It’s the edible equivalent of a dog-eared book: a little rough around the edges, rumpled here and there, but 100 percent lovable on the inside. It’s the kind of dessert that wants to be eaten in a red barn with a loft full of hay bales, or in a bed with flannel sheets, while the wind whistles outside. Unfortunately, I have neither a barn nor any flannel, but I’m working on it.

I came to this recipe in a roundabout way. Namely, via a desire to learn to cook to rabbit. I don’t quite know where I got the idea, but a few weeks ago, it took hold of me. Rabbit is not exactly a popular meat choice, I know, but I had eaten it once before, in a restaurant, and though I had to struggle to keep my thoughts from drifting toward Beatrix Potter, Peter Rabbit, and Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail, it was very, very delicious. I had been wanting to try it at home, but I was a little afraid. I needed a partner in crime, or in whatever sort of deviant activity rabbit cookery constitutes. I happened to mention this to my friend Carla, and much to my delight, her eyes lit up immediately. The wheels were officially in motion! Then, not long after, this beauty happened to glue itself to my hands at the bookstore - books can be so needy, especially the pretty ones - and lo and behold, it offered an entire menu built around roasted rabbit. Clearly, it was fate. The menu began with a spinach cake, a savory sort of custard-meets-frittata, and then moved on to rabbit rubbed with crème fraîche and mustard, parsnips roasted in olive oil, and, finally, a free-form apple tart. Hubba hubba.

So last Wednesday night, we gathered around Carla’s stove and put it all together, and it certainly looked promising. I was planning, actually, to tell you today about the spinach cake recipe, or maybe even the rabbit. But to be perfectly honest, neither turned out particularly well. The rabbit was just okay - a little dry, and with strangely curdled pan juices. I hate to admit this, but we gave most of the leftover meat to Jack. He was the only one who really liked it. And the spinach cake, too, wasn’t quite right. It was oddly watery, and I could hardly muster half a slice. The parsnips, however, were delicious. You can never go wrong with high heat, olive oil, and root vegetables. But the apple tart, the afterthought of the evening, wound up stealing the entire show. In fact, Carla’s son Lluc proclaimed it the best tart he’s ever had. He ought to know, too: he doesn’t like cake, but he loves tarts and pies, so he’s eaten plenty of them.

Anyway, it’s all just as well, right? In a contest between spinach cake, roasted rabbit, and apple tart, I think we all know who the winner would be.


I like my fruit tarts simple, as you know, and this one is just that. You begin by rolling a batch of buttery dough into a large rectangle. (I used my usual recipe, not the one Tanis proposes; I am becoming such a rebel.) It doesn’t matter if the rectangle is a little irregular. In fact, it probably will be. That’s what it’s all about. It’s rustic, bless it, and that word excuses all flaws. Anyway, yes, so you roll it out, and then you slide it onto a rimmed baking sheet. Then you peel some apples and slice them thinly. Don’t throw out the cores, though. Instead, chuck them into a saucepan, add some sugar and water, and boil the mixture down until to a thick syrup: later, once strained, this is going to be your glaze. (Smart, isn’t it? It’s reason enough, really, to love David Tanis, notwithstanding our disappointment with the iffy rabbit and wonky spinach cake.) You fan the sliced apples atop the dough like cards in a game of Solitaire, and then you dust them with sugar. Then you bake the tart until the crust is golden brown, at which point the apples should be tender and fragrant. Let it cool a little bit, brush it with warm glaze, and that’s it. Dessert is done: a little sweet, a little tart, perfectly understated, buttery to just the right degree. We served it that night with honey-sweetened whipped cream, which I strongly suggest. I might also suggest, while we’re at it, that you play a game of Ticket to Ride afterward. Do not, however, play against our friend Sam, because he will beat you every time. He will be nice about it, but he will beat you. Every. Time.

And should you have any of the tart left over at the end of the night, know that it’s just as good on its own - the next day, maybe, as an after-lunch sweet. So long, of course, as you eat your kale. Don’t forget that part.



Apple Tart
Adapted from A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes, by David Tanis

This is especially delicious with a little bit of honey-sweetened whipped cream.

For crust:
4 Tbsp. ice water, plus more as needed
3⁄4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
3⁄4 tsp. salt
9 Tbsp. (4 1⁄2 oz.) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes

For filling:
6 to 7 medium Granny Smith apples (about 2 1⁄2 pounds)
1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup water


To prepare the crust:
In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine 4 Tbsp. ice water and the cider vinegar.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Pulse to blend. Add the butter, and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal; there should be no pieces of butter bigger than a large pea. With the motor running, slowly add the water-vinegar mixture, processing just until moist clumps form. If you pick up a handful of the dough and squeeze it in your fist, it should hold together. If the dough seems a bit dry, add more ice water by the teaspoon, pulsing to incorporate. I sometimes find that 1 additional teaspoon is perfect.

Turn the dough out onto a wooden board or clean countertop, and gather it, massaging and pressing, until it just holds together. Shape it into a ball, and press it into a disk about 1 1⁄2 inches thick. If the disk cracks a bit at the edges, don’t worry; just pinch the cracks together as well as you can. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and then press it a bit more, massaging away any cracks around the edges, allowing the constraint of the plastic wrap to help you form it into a smooth disk. Refrigerate the wrapped dough for at least 2 hours. (Dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw it in refrigerator overnight before using.) Before rolling it out, allow the dough to soften slightly at room temperature.

To assemble:
Set an oven rack to the middle position, and preheat the oven to 375°F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle measuring approximately 11 by 16 inches. Transfer the dough to a rimmed baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.

Peel the apples, and cut them into quarters. Cut out the cores, and toss them into a medium saucepan. To the cores, add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Simmer until the mixture has reduced to a thick syrup. Strain out and discard the solids, and set the syrup aside. Meanwhile, cut the apples into thin – roughly 1/8- to ¼-inch-thick – slices. Arrange the apple slices over the pastry in 5 rows, overlapping them like cards in solitaire. Sprinkle sugar generously over the apples. [I used a tablespoon – the eating kind, not the measuring kind – to do this, and I used about 1 slightly heaping spoonful for every 1 to 1 ½ rows of apple slices.] If you want to, fold up the edges of the dough a little bit, to form a small rim.

Bake the tart until the pastry is crisp and golden brown and the apples are beginning to color, about 35 to 45 minutes. [If your apples aren’t getting much color, don’t worry; if the pastry is looking right and the apples are at least tender, you should be fine. My apples stayed pretty pale.] Cool on the pan on a rack.

Just before serving, rewarm the glaze. Slide the tart from the pan onto a cutting board. Brush the apples with the warm glaze. Slice, and serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

59 Comments:

Blogger McChoo said...

I've been a silent reader to your site for a long time (i think 'lurker' is the appropriate, if not creepy! term) and I had to post! We, too, consumed this very meal this week! And while our spinach cake was a little watery (but delicious!), our rabbit was such a succulent thing that our guest and eating companion equated it to eating.. lobster! Perhaps your rabbit was a little old? I think we were fortunate to have a fresh kill. Ahem. So, anyways, perhaps it's worth another try? And the tart was amazing. My fiancee has just spiked it a bit by adding a thin layer of cheese to the crust and some cider to the glaze. It's surprisingly subtle and well married.
Thanks again for the great posts!
I am looking forward to trying the boiled kale and egg toast!

1:11 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Lisa said...

Rabbit is a big part of Maltese cooking, my Nanna used to cook it quite often but I think I've only had it once. I don't know what kind of books there are about Maltese cuisine but you might find something there?

I have been meaning to play around with some fruit tarts. I love eating them, but I don't recall ever making one. Usually I just get distracted by recipes that include chocolate. I will definitely try this soon!

1:28 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Alina said...

I've got to tell you...I was curious about the kale when you first posted, but I didn't intend on trying it. Then I came across some at the market and thought I'd give it a whirl. I've made it twice in the last week. My husband and I love it. Thanks!

1:37 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Ryan said...

Molly,

First and foremost, your blog is one of the few to make the cut in my Google Reader (an honor, in my eyes). I'm sure you knew you were going to get some criticism for your carnivorous ramblings in this post. I went back and re-read this post, sans the whole rabbit bit, and it was perfectly sufficient.

Tainted,

Ryan

1:48 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger smörgåsbroad said...

holymoly. i have some leftover pie crust stashed in my freezer...think it will meet its end in a miniature version of this apple tart. honeyed whipped cream, oh my! i am liking mcchoo's suggestion to spike the tart with cheese.

2:27 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger del said...

You should get back on the horse regarding the rabbit! (Odd amount of animal imagery there...)
Jamie Oliver has a couple of good rabbit recipes in his italian cookbook, one is stuffed with its own offal mixed with bread, herbs and some pine nuts, covered with rosemary and bacon and then oven-roasted to perfection, and another version is cut up and the individual pieces charcoal-grilled with some herbs and oil. A third interesting idea is to deep-fry pieces, sort of a rabbit version of KFC chicken.

Anyway, rabbit is really good, and especially the ones shot in the wild. I like eating game; I believe it's the most humane way to eat meat, the animal gets to live a natural life, and is killed quickly and without fearful transportation to a butchering facility. Much better than the vacuumpacked stuff we get in supermarkets, IMHO.

2:27 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Annemarie said...

oh, you evil woman. I'm at work now, it's midnight, and then you go and post about apple pie! Now I'm hungry!
Can't wait to try the pie ;)

2:51 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Samie said...

It seems I have to comment more and more here. First of all...ohh, apple tart!! You've sent me off back to the kitchen, just shortly after baking cupcakes to try this. I'm in love with apple tart, and I know this is going to be a fabulous one. (just the word rustic is mouthwatering, strangely enough.)

I think maybe you should give the rabbit another try? It was one of he few meats my allergy-prone cousin could eat when she was younger, and they make lovely stews and broths, if you're inclined to try it that way. ;)

3:04 PM, October 21, 2008  
Anonymous julie said...

I recently planned a dinner for my husband's birthday that included your buttery oniony tomato sauce, some pasta, a nice salad, and your far-from-disaster chocolate cake. When I was telling him my plans, he stopped me in mid-sentence, saying he needed no further details because, "you had me at Orangette". You are making me look SO good. :)

4:02 PM, October 21, 2008  
Anonymous miamoto said...

oh, yum. Apple desserts are the best, followed closely by cherry desserts then strawberry desserts. I will have to try this on the weekend.

I have had similar experience with cooking rabbit - the first (and only, to date) time I cooked rabbit, it came out quite tough and not entirely rewarding. I used a Jamie Oliver recipe, from his Cook with Jamie book, which stewed the rabbit in a beer-based stew with dumplings on top. The dumplings were delicious - the stew was hearty - but the rabbit was a little too lean, fiddly and tough for my liking. I may try again with a longer, slower cooking process next time...

4:04 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger jessicah said...

I love apple tarts! And I love Ticket to Ride in all of its incarnations. I think you may have just inspired a dessert game night. Thanks!

4:30 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Mama JJ said...

Hi Molly,

I'll be making this... tomorrow. I'm thinking I might add a sprig of rosemary to the glaze mixture---what do you think? And mcchoo, I like the idea of adding cider, as well.

Thanks again for a great recipe!

-JJ

Ps. If you're going to cook a rabbit again, you should check out Paprikahead's recipe for Rabbit Pie.

4:55 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Blushing hostess said...

I will make this tart, seems relatively painless... I hope. And in return share this rabbit foodie story with you which is... well, a rabbit story, what can I say?
http://blushinghostess.blogspot.com/2008/03/sharing-traditions.html

5:00 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Melanie said...

Hmmm... I need to meet Sam. I need some competition. I'm baking your crumble top banana bread tonight; wouldn't it go perfectly with a match?

You are a great writer. I can't wait to see your cookbook. I'm putting it on my birthday list.

5:27 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Janetta said...

I've never even considered leaving a comment on your blog (or anyone else's for that matter), although i subscribe on my i-google page and read it every week, But i LOVE Ticket to Ride. And cooking and eating, of course. And I bet I could beat Sam. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

6:19 PM, October 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, kale and swiss chard are among my top favorite 5 veggies, but I still say you don't have to eat them first to get to the tart. Last winter on a really had cold day, I made a tart tatin for dinner and shared it with my best friend. That and a little sauternes (next time I will try the hungarian wine!) made my day!!

8:02 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger La Traductora said...

There's nothing better that picking your own apples and baking an apple tart. It is sublime in its simplicity.

8:24 PM, October 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the first recipe I tried from the book and loved it too! The pastry recipe from the book was good and it's a double recipe, so there's one in the freezer waiting for later. My guests didn't seem as impressed as I about the clever idea to toss the cores in the glaze. It made me wonder what other smart ideas are in the book...

10:21 PM, October 21, 2008  
Anonymous shahnnen said...

mm...my new obsession as of late is rabbit saddle stuffed with sweetbreads. the sweetbreads add a certain moistness that bunny sometimes needs. and pan juice/ maple glaze. and some root veg.

11:43 PM, October 21, 2008  
Blogger Reuben Morningchilde said...

Dear Molly,

sorry to hear your rabbit wasn't as great as it could have been.

I grew up with my mother's 'lagos stifado', which is greek rabbit with onions. I have already made it under the worst of circumstances, probably, including on top of a driftwood fire in an empty oil can - so I think I can assume it is pretty failsafe:

Take your rabbit, pare it, fry in olive oil until golden, add the weight of the meat in whole, peeled onions, add canned, whole tomatoes until the meat and the onions are well covered, add a generous amount of salt, pepper and honey, leave to simmer until the meat is tender enough to fall from the bone and the onions are soft. Serve with white bread and some green salad.

Even my wife loves it.

3:51 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Jayne said...

At the risk of sounding like a redneck....We soak strips of rabbit meat in milk in the fridge before cooking them. Deer meat, too. It seems to make the meat more tender and juicy and helps to get rid of that "game-y" taste. However, the only way I've ever eaten rabbit is fried in butter-flavor Crisco after being soaked in milk, dipped in flour, dipped in egg, and finally coated in cajun-seasoned cornmeal. So I'm no expert.

4:57 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Well, now I've got to put kale on my shopping list if only so I can get to the tart!

6:23 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Penelope Roo said...

Thanks, Molly! Today is my birthday and your new entry was a sweet surprise. Plus I hadn't heard of the "Ticket to Ride" game. I'm putting this on the list for my nephews for Christmas. It's nice to find something the whole family can play even if the power goes out.
;-) Penelope Roo

7:14 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Inne said...

Hi Molly,

the apple tart looks wonderful (unfortunately I get sick from anything with cooked apples, so I will have to give this recipe a miss).

We have a wonderful recipe in Belgium called 'kip à la konijn' (Flemish for chicken made to taste like rabbit), might sound weird but it really does work. And the meat is usually very succulent and absolutely delicious. Do let me know if you would like the recipe.

7:39 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger cookofthehouse said...

This post reminded me of an apple tart I've been meaning to make forever. But now you've added the brilliant idea of the sugary apple glaze to it.

Inspiration. Perfectly wonderful.

9:20 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Shannalee || Food Loves Writing said...

Yay, apple season! I just went to the orchard this weekend and brought home a bag of fresh fruit---the same night, I made a puffed apple pancake, which, I have to say, was the easiest, tastiest thing with apples I've ever eaten.

On the other hand, I have not tried this tart yet, so...

9:29 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Boneflowers said...

I was just served this tart in a teeny, old-fashioned French restaurant in Manhattan. So delicious! I will have to try this recipe.

Older rabbits can definitely be tough and need long, slow cooking; a traditional preparation is a fricassee, where the rabbit pieces are browned in oil and onions, then slowly cooked in a roux and broth gravy and finished with cream. Fantastic, impressive, and works with chicken too.

I've also had a rabbit and apple stew that was incredible. The flavor affinities of rabbit seems very similar to pork.

11:08 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Jasmine Montgomery said...

Hello Molly,

I stumbled upon your blog and really enjoyed it!!! In my restaurant we make rabbit raviolis!!! I would love to share the recipe with you.....

Jasmine

11:38 AM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Mama JJ said...

Mollymollymolly, I LOVE you! What a fantastic recipe! I stayed true to my word and made the recipe, first thing this morning, in fact, and I'm totally wowed by it. It was so good that I had to immediately post about it even though I was planning to wrote about something totally different. It was that good, nay, divine...

-JJ

11:58 AM, October 22, 2008  
Anonymous Hillary said...

Oh wow, very beautiful tart!

I can definitely relate to an afterthought stealing the show...

Last Valentine's day, I had this dessert all ready to go that I thought was going to be phenomenal (a chocolate port dessert wine with vanilla ice cream and sponge cake). But I needed a meal to go with it. Stressed and pulling something together, I made this salmon and vegetables that came out MUCH better than the dessert!

2:17 PM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger Half Baked said...

My favorite pasta dish is made with a rabbit ragu.. just thinking about it makes my mouth water!
I love this apple tart. I too think that the more simple and rustic the better. I've got a ew pears in the fridge that need to be used, maybe I'll make a pear version of your tart:)

2:57 PM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger jenny said...

Hi Molly,

Apple tart is on my to-do list now, as is picking up a copy of Tanis's cookbook for some stellar fruit recipes, I'm sure! Thanks for the reminder. I'm wondering if you've had any luck with other apple varieties-- I'm always curious what the gala and the fuji bring to pastry. A disaster?

cheers,
jenny
www.rootingforfruit.com

8:16 PM, October 22, 2008  
Anonymous Bob LaGatta said...

It’s good to know that I’m not alone when it comes to writing articles about quality, good food. And I love sharing good recipes too. You could check www.technocooks.com if you want a different “menu.”

I’ll better check the archived posts from your site. Ciao!

10:19 PM, October 22, 2008  
Blogger smörgåsbroad said...

Just to follow-up...I made the tart with some leftover dough and it is really just...so good and simple. Loved it.

2:25 AM, October 23, 2008  
Blogger Botacook said...

Thank you for this simple yet beautiful recipe ; it will be useful when winter days come ;)

3:45 AM, October 23, 2008  
Blogger Cheryl A said...

You aren't exactly inspiring me to try rabbit again. My first cooking efforts ended the same way as yours. But the apple tart? I just finished a classic apple pie, but I can always have more apples and pastry...

9:27 AM, October 23, 2008  
Anonymous Pirouette said...

Can I just say that I love the way you describe recipes and your surroundings? It has a very whimsical, vintage sort of feel to it. Thanks for always giving me a quality read. :)

12:14 PM, October 23, 2008  
Blogger Maria said...

The tart looks fabulous. I haven't had my kale yet, but I will and I have had plenty of other veggies, so can I have a piece? Please????

12:19 PM, October 23, 2008  
Blogger Astrid said...

Speaking of rabbits. My husband and his friends used to have rabbits (and ducks) in the garden when they lived together. The boys were - and still are - really into cooking, and they liked to get their hands dirty, so to speak. I was invited to one of these rabbit dinners. I thought it would be hard eating it because they were so very, very cute when they were small baby rabbits. But no, I didn't mind. And I think I remember it as being delicious.

3:51 AM, October 24, 2008  
Anonymous Katie said...

Funny, the NY Times just put out an article that features Tanis' book. Looks like you're on top of things.

Lovely apple tart, too - it'll have to join my dessert queue.

5:51 AM, October 24, 2008  
Anonymous donna baker said...

Oh Molly...you are brave. As a fellow Sooner on a farm, I would invite you to sample my pecan pie recipe which is adapted from Colonel Sander's recipe of old (at least older than you). It's gooey center is more of a buttery yellow and not as sweet as the usual. Love your posts. By the way, I grew kale this summer and it is easy to grow and freeze. I put it in a chicken and white bean soup.

12:31 PM, October 24, 2008  
Anonymous Haley said...

Love the way you write.... so friendly and inviting. Your tart looks amazing as well. I will have to try it out soon!

2:38 PM, October 24, 2008  
Blogger sillygirl said...

After loving another try at the kale recipe I had some fresh kale leftover so for myself I frazzled some chopped in a good amount of olive oil with salt and when it had some pieces that were brown and crumbled in your mouth I tossed in some chopped fresh chilis (good for the lungs during cold season), some chopped onion and some leftover chicken. I splashed a little balsamic vinegar in and served it to myself with a few shavings of parmesan - yum!!!!!

3:58 PM, October 24, 2008  
Anonymous Kali said...

Love your blog and your recipes!

1:19 AM, October 25, 2008  
Blogger Meg said...

So, I love rustic apple tart, especially with an apple-y glaze. But... I know it's comically low levels (only enough to scare nervous nellies like myself), but don't apple seeds contain cyanide, which is sort of why you're supposed to remove the seeds if you use the core?
Anyway, I like my rabbit roasted, covered with bacon or pancetta. Try again, another way- you'll be happy you did.

9:39 PM, October 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so simple your apple tart and it's apple core glaze..! I served it just as you recommended with "honey from our beehives" flavored whipped cream...friday night dinner guests loved it. Thank you.

9:58 AM, October 26, 2008  
Blogger marielle said...

Greg Atkinson just taught me to add apple cider vinegar to my bread dough. Easy to see this would refine the taste of apple tart dough too. Still plenty of apples under the trees. Gus, my 14 yr. old has been baking his way through all my apple tart recipes. He'll be happy to give this one a try too. Coincidentally had fresh kale sauteed in bacon fat and shallots with entrecote à pointe and mashed potatoes last night. Yum. We love our greens.
I like the suggestion of mcchoo to add a little cheese to the tarte. Maybe try pears with gorgonzola?

10:04 PM, October 26, 2008  
Blogger Mama JJ said...

Meg, That (apple seeds hold bad chemicals) was one of my little niggling concerns, too. That's part of the reason I opted to use apple cider in the glaze.

-JJ

3:27 AM, October 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Molly,
Made the apple tart for our supper club this past weekend -- excellent recipe! Lucky for me, I took half a pan home... Unfortunately for my scale, I ate it. Lovely weekend!
-Whit

11:31 AM, October 27, 2008  
Anonymous Claire said...

Oh my goodness, I am so excited to try this one out! A big basket of apples from this week's market is calling to me.

An early incident of ordering rabbit at a restaurant and having an uncle call it "bunny" over and over has turned me off a bit from attempting it myself, but perhaps I'll give it another shot.

2:43 PM, October 27, 2008  
Anonymous Sonja said...

Ohhh, rabbit is one of my favourite types of meat! My father makes it every once in a while - he stews it in the oven with different vegetables and it is so tender and tasty! I'd be very intrigued to hear your recipe...

6:17 PM, October 27, 2008  
Anonymous Chrissy said...

How could I not want to make (and eat) this after that description? It looks and sounds delicious!

6:34 PM, October 27, 2008  
Anonymous Lorene said...

Lord Yes!!! Apple tart, you're next in line...but you've a steady climb to surpass the sweet, unctuous, oh-so-virtuous delight of BOILDED KALE! I'll gladly down bowl-fulls of BK with a grin on my face. This sweet/tart apple delight will be my just reward...not that I need one. Thank you dear wonder for stripping the veil from my kale-shy eyes. I'm in love. -Lorene

9:23 PM, October 27, 2008  
Blogger Molly said...

Hi all. I am waaay late in replying here - so sorry - but thank you for all the wise suggestions about rabbit! I really do want to try it again, and your thoughts are a huge help. You are gems.

And thank you, too, for your feedback on the apple tart! The cider idea is so smart, and the cheese sounds fascinating too. I've had an apple pie with cheddar in the crust, and it was delicious, so how could you go wrong?

And lastly, Meg, that's a good point about the apple seeds. I hadn't even thought about it. It may be silly of me, but I'm not terribly worried - it just seems like such a tiny amount - but if it bothers you, well, maybe knock or cut the seeds out of the cores before you put them in the pan? That's an easy solution.

10:44 PM, October 27, 2008  
Blogger Estelle said...

I have a great spinach cake recipe, hope you like it!
http://tetellita.blogspot.com/2006/04/le-gateau-vert.html

8:05 AM, November 07, 2008  
Blogger Dio said...

Are you playing Ticket to Ride Europe? If not, I suggest you buy it, master the ferry system, and beat the pants off of Sam.

(I know that sounds horribly competitive, but splendid kale recipes make me rather partial to you.)

7:42 PM, November 13, 2008  
Anonymous Kira said...

I just wanted to thank you for this recipe! I made it last night and it was fabulous. I think the reason I love it so much is that it is simple and the apples and delicious pastry can shine through - it's not all gussied up with spices like cinnamon and cloves and so on. I'll be making this again and again.
Thank you!

5:24 PM, February 03, 2009  
Blogger Rosasharne said...

Thanks for the tip, I might never have noticed this recipe in the book, much as I like to turn its pages. His crust is, actually, outstanding, and my friend who tasted the tart wants to make it her new pie crust.

9:54 PM, February 08, 2009  
Blogger Marje said...

Just a note on the cyanide in the apple seed concern (when I read this my reference librarian-ness just had to respond): the number of apple seeds needed to obtain a lethal dose is +-1/2 c crushed and eaten and the apple seed coat keeps the chemical inside even if swallowed. So unless you chop up the apple seeds before use there will be no discernible amount of cyanide (if any) in the glaze. See http://everything2.com/title/Apple+seed or http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp for discussion.
And I enjoyed your book, even wrote a review on it for the local newspaper. Good luck with the restaurant.

7:45 AM, October 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home