<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

12.17.2007

So much better

You guys really are terrific. I dropped the ball last week, I know, with all this book nonsense and blah blah blah, but you were so nice. Your congratulations and good will cheered me right through to the end - to Thursday morning at approximately 11 am, when I said so long to our old friend Man U. Script. He’ll be back soon enough, I fear, but he’s gone for now, and that’s good enough for me. Darn good, in fact.

And hey, I wrote a book! Goodnight. How on earth did that happen? I didn’t know I had it in me, really, until it was done. Life o’ mine, you are full of surprises - and also dirty dishes, and dirty laundry, and dust bunnies. I spent Thursday afternoon scrubbing the kitchen sink, sweeping the bathroom floor, and going through mail that had been sitting next to my desk since October. October, people. Then I watched four episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent (I have an itty bitty crush on Vincent D’Onofrio; don’t tell); ate two pains au chocolat; danced around to the Pixies’ Surfer Rosa for a couple of hours; and finally, yesterday, fell asleep curled around a pile of warm laundry and missed most of the afternoon, including a holiday party at the home of friends.



Oh yeah. I also made toffee, chocolate blocks, banana bread, and brown butter cookies spread with homemade strawberry jam.

Brown. Butter. Cookies.

I feel so much better. About everything.



I clipped the recipe for these little beauties two years ago, but it took me until now - my priorities have been totally out of line - to try them. But better late than never, I say, because they’re lovely. For one thing, they’re some of the prettiest cookies I’ve ever seen. Shaped in the well of a teaspoon - a tad tedious, yes, but therapeutic in a way, and totally worth it - they turn out smooth and curvy, the approximate size and shape of a flattened egg. They’re pale gold and flecked with toasted bits of butter, and you sandwich them with a festive sash of jam across the waistline. They’re sophisticated but still approachable, eminently edible. If they were human, you’d want to pinch their cheeks and buy them a drink.

Then, of course, there’s the flavor: intensely buttery, warm and rich, and ever-so-slightly nutty, with a sandy crumb that melts instantly on the tongue. They remind me a bit of Pecan Sandies® - only minus the pecans and plus jam. (If you grew up, as I did, with Pecan Sandies®, you’ll know that’s high praise.) Their creator, Celia Barbour, calls them “the best cookies in the world,” and while I’m not quite ready to go that far - they don’t, after all, contain chocolate - I think she’s onto something. I can’t imagine a better cookie for dunking in a mug of coffee on Christmas Day. They’re coming along in my carry-on tomorrow morning, when we fly to the East Coast for the holidays. I’ll be back in a couple of weeks, with an empty cookie tin in tow.

Friends, I wish you the very happiest of holidays. It’s been quite a year, and I’ve loved spending it with you.



Brown Butter Spoon Cookies with Jam
Adapted from Gourmet, December 2005

I’m not going to tell you that these are the world’s easiest cookies, because they do take a bit of time and technique. But I will tell you that they’re outlandishly delicious, and that there’s something terrifically calming about shaping and assembling them, even if it does take a while. Plus, the dough is wonderfully simple - maybe the simplest I’ve ever made. You make it right in the saucepan! Neat-o.

As for shaping the dough, well, it’s a little tricky at first, but after the first 10 or 12, you’ll find yourself settling into it: instinctively knowing how much dough to use for each cookie, how to press it just so into the bowl of a teaspoon, how to slide it out. By the second pan, it was actually going pretty quickly. Oh, and don’t worry about little imperfections: the heat of the oven will soften and smooth them.

Lastly, about the preserves: Celia Barbour recommends using a mixture of half cherry and half strawberry, but I used only strawberry. Whatever you choose, make sure it’s a jam you love. My strawberry jam was homemade, left over from a recipe project this fall, and its flavor was terrific with the brown butter cookie.

2 sticks (1 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt, slightly rounded
Heaping 1/3 cup fruit preserves

To make the dough:
Fill the kitchen sink with about 2 inches of very cold water.

In a medium heavy saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter turns golden and smells nutty and flecks on the bottom of the pan turn a rich caramelly brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. (Butter will initially foam a bit, then dissipate. A thicker foam will appear and cover the surface just before the butter begins to brown; stir more frequently once this occurs.) Remove the pan from the heat and place it in the sink to stop the butter from cooking further. Cool, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the sink, and stir in the sugar and vanilla.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and stir until a dough forms. Shape the dough into two balls – or one, but it’s a little unwieldy – and wrap in plastic wrap. Set aside at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop. (Alternatively, chill dough balls until you’re ready to use them. Allow the chilled dough to soften at room temperature for at least one hour before shaping into cookies and baking.)

To shape and bake the cookies:
Set an oven rack in the middle position, and preheat the oven to 325°F.

Choose a teaspoon with a deep bowl. (I used an antique silver teaspoon; older spoons in general, I find, have nice deep bowls. Do not use a measuring spoon.) Pinch off a small bit of dough from one of the balls and press it into the bowl of the spoon, flattening the top. The dough will feel crumbly, but as you press and mold it, it will become cohesive. Pressing gently, slide the shaped dough out of the spoon and place it, flat side down, on an ungreased baking sheet. (I lined mine with a silicon liner for easy clean-up.) Continue forming cookies and arranging them on the sheet pan; you should be able to fit about 18 cookies. Bake the cookies until just pale golden, about 8 to 15 minutes. Cool them on the sheet pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes; then transfer them to the rack and cool completely. Meanwhile, continue shaping and baking more cookies until all the dough is gone. You should be able to make about 60 to 70 cookies in all.

To assemble the cookies:
While the cookies cool, heat the preserves in a small saucepan over low heat until just runny. Pour and scrape through a sieve into a small bowl to remove seeds and solids. Cool completely. (I stuck mine in the fridge for a few minutes.)

Working with one cookie at a time, spread the flat side with a thin layer of preserves. Sandwich with the flat side of a second cookie. Continue with the remaining cookies and preserves. Let the finished cookies stand until the jam is set, about 45 minutes.

Transfer cookies to an airtight container and wait 2 days - really! - before eating to allow the flavor to develop. (Or, if making them well in advance, freeze them.)

Yield: 30-35 sandwich cookies

74 Comments:

Blogger Jenne said...

Okay, so WHAT IF you were hypothetically a really weird person and you don't really like jam, and somehow you found a way to put chocolate in between the cookies?
How would that be? Delicious? Or no?

5:46 PM, December 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder, could you sandwich them with melted chocolate instead of jam? Thus creating possibly the world's best cookie? Safe travels. (This new sign-in thing is driving me nuts) - Luisa

5:48 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger UmberDove said...

Hooray! No more Man U Script AND new cookies for the baking.
Have a fabulous Christmas Molly!

On a totally unrelated note, I just finished a disturbingly large bowl of hashed brussel sprouts from your recipe - addictive! So thank you.

5:50 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger Molly said...

Jenne and Luisa, you are BRILLIANT. Why didn't I think of that? GAH. I'll bet chocolate would be amazing in these. They're very delicate, flavor-wise, so it would have to be a very thin layer, but I think it would be delicious. Mmm...

Thank you, UmberDove! And I hear you on those Brussels sprouts. Disturbingly good, aren't they?

6:04 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger hannah said...

law & order, dancing and napping??? it IS the holiday season! so glad you have been able to unwind. have a great time in nyc!! im hitting the chewy cocoa cookies hard tomorrow. triple batch!!

6:25 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger Monkey Wrangler said...

Surfer Rosa? Awesome! The Pixies got me through college. Oh yeah, the manuscript. Probably seemed like it would be impossible to lift and get out the door, so congrats it's taken a vacation.

Really though, what put me over the top and into commentville was the brown butter. It got me thinking how it would go nice with a nice dry apple cider......

6:37 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger Jules said...

Yes! Melted chocolate is exactly what I was wondering about!

Also, if you have a crush on Vincent D'Onofrio, you should see his incredible acting in The Whole Wide World. Creepy, but amazing.
Jules
House of Jules

7:21 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger Liz said...

Well first, congratulations on sending off the manuscript. A book for gosh sakes!

And second, oh dear. Another amazing recipe? My family will already laugh at me as it is, pulling your buckwheat cookies and fruit & nut balls out of my suitcase (plus some rugelach pinwheels for good measure), and now I may just have to head straight into my mother's kitchen to start on these. Oh, the cookie baking season.

9:07 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger Kate said...

I have been baking like mad, and was very eager to see what you'd post today that I could add to my Christmas cookie making.

These sound absolutely wonderful -- I can't wait to make them!

9:23 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger Michelle said...

Christmas ... cookies ... Vincent D'Onofrio ... what could be better? Have you seen the movie "Imaginary Crimes" with Vincent in it? It's pretty good, almost as good as the book. Thought I was the only one who had a crush on him. Think I'll be scurrying between the TV and the oven tonight. Merry Christmas!

10:10 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger Shauna said...

If it weren't for the baking frenzy that is my life right now, I would definitely be adding these to the mix. Delicious! I'm in agreement with making these with a shmear of bittersweet chocolate in between, kind of like Pepperidge Farm Milanos. Mmmmm.

10:24 PM, December 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of yum to me. And, for another V D'O film, watch Happy Accidents.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

11:03 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger kickpleat said...

mmmm, jam and cookies! a perfect combo and so pretty too.

11:11 PM, December 17, 2007  
Anonymous Julie said...

Last Christmas when I made these, I made half of them with chocolate rather than jam (and the other half with jam, but I think I used raspberry last year), and they were good that way. I love chocolate as much as anyone, but I thought these particular cookies tasted better with jam than chocolate, because the jam provides that little kick of acid to counterbalance the richness of the browned butter, whereas chocolate blended in with them more, rather than standing out and providing a counterpoint. If you see what I mean. But the chocolate ones were quite good--I just found the jam ones better.

Congrats on the book. I cannot wait...I'm hoping its publication will enable me to rid myself of the tangle of loose recipes I've printed off this site. Ah, to have them all in one place...

11:25 PM, December 17, 2007  
Blogger KarenJoSeattle said...

This is the kind of recipe that really makes me rue the milk allergy I've developed. You can't brown clarified butter, can you? It's the milk solids, with the allergen proteins, that brown.

But I'm sure I'll make some kind of brussel sprouts for the holidays based on recipes here, especially since we'll be at my sprout-loving SIL's. Thanks for the ideas.

Congratulations on meeting and surviving the deadline. Enjoy the time away.

www.karenjoseattle.com

12:49 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Alice Q. said...

I have to say, I love the idea of buying a cookie a drink. Happy Holidays and congratulations! (My verification word is mayodood - do you know him?)

1:22 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Village Vegan said...

Congratulations on the book! I'll be buying a copy or two or three, that's for sure.

Those cookies look delicious. Mmmm. I made your chocolate blocks this weeekend for holiday gifts, too! I changed the fruit and nuts around a bit, because I'm not a raisin-chocolate fan either, and they are soooooo yummy. Thanks!

2:29 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Lynn said...

Glad to hear you got to bake!!! These look yummy..I guess I will have to make a batch to take along to our family Christmas dinner :-)
Have a very Merry Christmas!

3:59 AM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous melanie said...

I just want to say that I too have a crush on Vincent from Law & Order. No one can believe it but now I have found someone that understands where I'm coming from.

4:03 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger shari said...

oh yes. i'll be making these. happy holidays to you and brandon and a big yippee for finishing your book. xoxx

4:16 AM, December 18, 2007  
OpenID flaxenlenape said...

You might try Nutella dashed between the crumbly, buttery halves... or add just a bit of orange zest to the chocolate to achieve the contrast between the buttery cookie and the creamy chocolate...

5:16 AM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous Nicolette said...

haha, i am in agreement with you about vincent d'onofrio, he's my secret crush also! i'm a law and order addict.

5:53 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger jbeach said...

Hi, Molly-
I made these cookies last weekend and they certainly were scrumdiddlyumptious. So meltingly, tooth-achingly (but in a good way) rich and buttery. I loved the flecks the brown butter imparted and now of course am obsessed with making brown butter anything. One question: we used raspberry jam, which was delicious, but we didn't bother to heat and strain it (we like the seeds). Is that step only to ensure you have a smooth filling? Thanks so much! 'So happy you're done with the first and largest leg of your book! You'll have fun going through and seeing it after it's been copyedited and then when it's in page proofs (I work in book publishing). Happy Holidays!!

6:13 AM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous melinda said...

Congratulations! I am already impatient to read your book!

My cousin (a champion baker and all-around terrific cook) has been waxing rhapsodic about these cookies, and now that they have a thumbs-up from you as well...I'm definitely making them.

Have a wonderful holiday!

6:31 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Casey said...

I've loved this recipe ever since I first foung it in Gourmet--not just for the wonderful cookies but because of the little "truc" for browning butter. Works every single time--so now I am the Mistress of Perfectly Browned Butter.
and, like so many, I CANNOT WAIT to read your book.

6:38 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Megan said...

could you shape them in another way besides using a spoon? I don't have a particularly deep teaspoon.

7:57 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger kayenne said...

ohh... i say, go ahead with the jam(i love raspberry!), then dip the entire thing into dark melted chocolate... double yummy! or do like the alfajores in Leite's site and spread with dulce de leche, then dip in chocolate and then roll in dessicated coconut. Mmmmmmmmm...

7:59 AM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous EB of www.spicedish.typepad.com said...

How could you NOT dance around to Surfer Rosa after writing a friggin' book??? Way to go.

8:42 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger nerdling said...

I haven't started baking cookies yet (yay procrastination!) but these look loverly.

I also thought I was the only one with a crush on Vincent D'Onofrio, but it appears we can start a support group. Hooray for Law & Order: Criminal Intent—that's what I'll be watching alllll Christmas weekend!

(And if you haven't seen it, Vincent's work in The Salton Sea is perfectly amazing. He has a small but awesome part.)

10:04 AM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darnit, flaxenlanape beat me to the punch! I was just going to suggest sandwiching them with nutella. Either way, they sound absolutely wonderful!

Cheers for getting your manuscript off into the wild blue yonder - we can't wait for it :)

10:34 AM, December 18, 2007  
OpenID cindc said...

Why are you doing this to me?? I have an insane amount of things I'm planning to make for a Christmas party, and now I want to add these to the list! The shape reminds me of Milano cookies, which is probably why so many commenters leapt to the chocolate filling conclusion.

10:44 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Dana said...

I cut out this recipe too, and I *still* haven't gotten to them! I'm a huge fan of jam, but I do wonder how a shmear of nutella would taste... I'm guessing it would be pretty delicious...

11:58 AM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Katy said...

Congratulations on the book! These sound amazing -- I've never made brown butter before but it was bon appetit's "flavor of the year" in their last issue!

1:04 PM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Mia said...

There is a similar recipe over on FoodTV and they are called Finnish Spoon Cookies. I made them last week and used some French cherry and blueberry jams. The difference between the two recipes is that the ones I made you sift powdered sugar over them. I am getting ready to make them again and use a black current jam and maybe plum. But this time, I will let the butter get browner than the first time. They all disappeared so they must have been good.

1:15 PM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous Love, Joleen Photography said...

That cookie looks scrumptious!

Congrats on your new book. :D

1:27 PM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger JEP said...

I second the Nutella idea--rich spread on rich---yum!

1:31 PM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger foodette said...

A thousand congratulations for finishing your manuscript - that truly is an accomplishment. I am sure that you will never forget the feeling of completing your first book. I simply can't wait to see it on the shelves (and of course take a copy home).

3:26 PM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Patricia said...

The way you describe each recipe you make and the outside details that fit in with the recipe is really delightful to read. I can't wait to read your book once it gets published!
-totally random, but I couldn't help giggling a little when you wrote that you have a small crush on Vincent D'onofrio. There is something about him that I find endearing yet terrifying at the same time. I think it's because I watched two movies (which were extremely different): The Whole, Wide World and The Cell.

5:10 PM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Mansi Desai said...

I'm slowly getting to browse yur blog more often now:) its great, and so are all your recipes! I'm just a newbie in the food-blogging world, and there's so much to learn!

Happy Holidays to you and your dear ones Molly!

5:27 PM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting your book finished Molly! That's a huge accomplishment and I hope you get some much deserved rest. I loved reading the details of the afternoon you spent feeling better -- it sounded lovely. I hope to get an opportunity to try this recipe over Christmas. Your chocolate and ginger cookies with demerara sugar were a huge hit with my two boys. Safe travels, and all the best for the new year.

Jen

9:51 PM, December 18, 2007  
Blogger Sophik said...

hmmm.. these look delicious, but your mention of chocolate has me thinking that maybe I should try a variation with some smearing of melted bittersweet to sandwich the two, instead of jam... you know, to mimic our other favorite cookie from our childhood,... the tatsy milano. yum. you think that would work!? congratulations on your exciting feat!!..we are all so anxious for its arrival.

9:11 AM, December 19, 2007  
Blogger Cakespy said...

I love Law and order too. Set me up with a season dvd of either CI or SVU and some of these cookies and I would be one happy little Cake Gumshoe.

9:25 AM, December 19, 2007  
Blogger nicole said...

Congrats on finishing your book (well, the first part, anyway)! I also have a secret thing for CI; my boyfriend and I get sucked into it on a regular basis when we need to veg out and relax. It always does the trick. Enjoy your holidays -

9:57 AM, December 19, 2007  
Blogger Pink said...

pain au chocolat and dancing around to the pixies pretty much sounds like the perfect way to celebrate turning in your book!

11:35 AM, December 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. Vincent. I've been enthralled since "Mystic Pizza".
Law and Order CI is my favorite knitting show - I sit and watch 4 or 5 episodes while trying to make progress on gifts - the hubby doesn't understand it. Go figure.
jennifer in ks

2:07 PM, December 19, 2007  
Blogger Hillary said...

Yayyyy!!! You're done! Now it's our turn to wait! Congratulations!

I loved reading about the way you celebrated/spent your weekend. And those brown butter cookies with raspberry jam look BEYOND delicious!!!

3:24 PM, December 19, 2007  
Blogger Lis said...

Congrats on finishing! I'm sure it was a beast. And thanks for reminding me about this recipe-- I had meant to make it two years ago and never got round to it, but they sound so good!

11:20 PM, December 19, 2007  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your book! I have one lurking inside me - I just know it! - but I can't seem to muster up the discipline to write it. I'm in awe of your accomplishment! (Oh - and the butter cookies are darling.)

8:25 AM, December 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

molly
i am so glad my friend introduced me to your blog. i smile every time i visit because it is so sweet, smart, and sassy... some days i need to visit more than once. :)
merry christmas and the happiest of holidays
L*Joy

11:04 AM, December 20, 2007  
Anonymous foodwoolf said...

There's such a lovely sense of serenity and elegance in your writing and photos. You may have plenty of chaos in your life, but on the page you're as patient as a poem. Every time I stop by and read, I find myself calmed, if not for just a moment, and doubly inspired to write and create beautiful food.

Thank you thank you thank you.

11:47 AM, December 22, 2007  
Blogger swirlingnotions said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats, Molly! I am so looking forward to that feeling of having my mss off with the editor folks so I can have a brief reprieve :-).

I have a funny story for you . . . my daughter has this little stuffed puppy that we've named Molly, and when my parents--who are here visiting--asked why it's named Molly, I thought to myself, "that's odd, why DID we name it Molly?" Then it hit me that you're the only Molly I know, and I think the pup just happened to arrive right after browsing your blog. And hence, it became Molly. So there you have it . . . you're already a part of my daughter's world and she's only 14 months old :-).

Merry Christmas!

12:42 PM, December 22, 2007  
OpenID vegeyum said...

Great cookies. It is 24th Dec here, so it is time for me to wish all of my blog friends a wonderful time with family and friends tomorrow. May it be a peaceful and blessed day where we can give a lot of joy to those around us. Have a great day.

7:27 PM, December 23, 2007  
Blogger One Food Guy said...

Those are the cutest little cookies and they sound so delicious!

Happy Holidays from One Food Guy!

11:53 AM, December 24, 2007  
Blogger GTangerine said...

You should put Nutella in between the two halves. I'm totally going to adopt your routine when I finish my Man U Script. Maybe COPS instead of Law & Order, but I do love warm laundry and sleeping in the afternoon.

3:53 PM, December 24, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

I just made these and they're incredibly delicious, but extremely delicate and crumbly. Will they crumble less if I cook them longer, or will that just dry them out too much?

11:28 AM, December 25, 2007  
Blogger Goddess Findings said...

CONGRATULATIONS for completing the big Script- this is a huge accomplishment and a momentous occasion. This was a bit what it was like when the diss. was done-I really lost my mind a little! So how fantastic it will be to be in NY--the one place you could get yourself a well deserved and REAL celebration or two! Cheers!!!
~Janice

3:21 PM, December 25, 2007  
Blogger discover said...

Hi Molly, the discussion about cookies has actually prompted (and inspired) me to bake. I never baked before, but I might as well start. A friend of mine once recommended on another way to relax by cooking for her and her husband, every night a fresh dish, which was never cooked by her before. I think its quite challenging to keep up and dig the recipes, but inspiring.
Scouti

6:57 AM, December 26, 2007  
Blogger Tokyoastrogirl said...

I am glad you posted this- I have the exact same story, basically. I saw this recipe two years ago, and would re-read the story from time to time, vowing one day to make them. I did last week, and my husband and I tried one on the first day, another on the second day and then anxiously tried one the third day. They really do evolve so nicely from a crisp cookie into something so rich and tender. I could eat a box of those so I'm glad they are labor intensive!

Happy Holidays:)

12:03 PM, December 26, 2007  
Anonymous She-Vee said...

Dear Molly,

I'm a college student and I only baked cookies as a kid helping mum but once I read your recipe I just had to make them! My mum sceptically watched me fiddle with the teaspoon but they came out very well and they've all been eaten over the holidays. Thank you so much! Mum already expects me to make them next year ;-)

3:23 PM, December 26, 2007  
OpenID clumsycook.com said...

I LOVE the shape of these spoon cookies!

Congrats on finishing your book Molly. My boyfriend is an author and I remember how crazy the house was during his last deadline---but then the weeks after that were filled with relaxation and deep breaths! Congrats again and can't wait to grab up a copy of your book next year!

Robin

11:29 AM, December 28, 2007  
Blogger Molly said...

Beth, my apologies for not replying to your question sooner! Yes, these are quite delicate cookies, especially when they're fresh. Mine weren't so crumbly as to be hard to handle, but still, they were fragile. I'm not sure of the answer to your question about baking them longer. I'm inclined to think that it might make them brittle or darken them too much. Hmmm...

4:02 PM, December 28, 2007  
Blogger Morgan said...

The recipe looks delish- can't wait to try it. Congratulations on the book! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to snatch up a copy : )

Happy New Year!

Morgan

11:09 PM, December 28, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just tried making these. used apricot jam. Heavenly

3:11 PM, December 29, 2007  
Anonymous kellyt said...

Did you ever read Celia Barbor's article on the making of these cookies in that issue of Gourmet? It's a wonderful article describing just how much she slaved on making these lovelies to give to her coworkers. I just read it a few weeks ago and was racking my brain when I saw your brown butter cookies trying to remember where I had read it. Anyway, it's worth reading but I suspect you already have!

4:19 PM, December 29, 2007  
Anonymous DIVAS said...

hey Orangette,
be my gal...i like yor cusine!

5:14 AM, December 30, 2007  
Blogger Mansi Desai said...

that's an awesome recipe Molly! thanks for sharing:)

4:50 PM, December 31, 2007  
Anonymous Tim said...

Hey Molly (and Beth)
I had the same problem as Beth with these cookies. They are so delicate that I am unable to pick them up without them falling apart. I followed recipe closely and everything seemed to work perfectly until the end. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas? It seems like such a great idea.
Thanks!

8:35 PM, January 02, 2008  
Anonymous Jess said...

Oh, Molly, congrats, congrats.
I, too, have had this recipe trailing from my refrigerator for years - can't wait to try your version!

1:19 PM, January 05, 2008  
Blogger melissapdx said...

Molly, thank you for reading my mind - I was thinking about that article not two weeks ago (is it really from years ago?). I loved the author's description of the cookie and how special they were to her. I'm so happy to have the recipe again and will make them this time - thank you!

10:37 AM, January 10, 2008  
Anonymous cereus said...

oh, this is the first time i've tried one of your baking recipes, molly, and it was SO good! my coworkers have been giving me that wide-eyed frantic "give-me-recipe" look after the first bite.

i found that baking to a warm golden brown gave my cookie a couple more points for flavor. I'm definitely using a variety of jams next time. Or maybe this cookie is just a delicious excuse to go jam collecting...

10:11 AM, January 22, 2008  
Blogger amisha said...

molly, i have spent some very blissful moments over the past few days catching up on your blog, your beautiful writing, and your mouthwatering recipes... thank you for all of that. and *congratulations* (belated) on finishing the book! i can't wait to read it.
and last night's dinner was your celeriac soup... i think it is a new winter staple. so, so good.
xo

3:56 PM, January 22, 2008  
Blogger Glowworm said...

I made these for the first time the other day, using melted chocolate instead of jam and brought them to a committee meeting. They were devoured within minutes and I had two friends arguing over who could have the privalege of marrying me. Molly these are fantastic. Time consuming, but well worth it!

3:44 PM, February 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made these twice. Once, I put a lemon sugar glaze as the filling. The second time, I did some with lemon glaze, some with Nutella, and some with chocolate filling. The lemon glaze is by FAR the most popular. I don't like jam, which is why I tried the lemon.

10:31 AM, March 18, 2008  
Blogger AnnMcFarlane said...

This recipe was amazing. The combination of the brown butter, vanilla, sugar, and just a little bit of jam takes me right back to the jam cookies of my childhood. I just tried it as a thank you gift to my preceptors (I am in nurse-midwifery school). I can't wait to make these again for myself!

4:52 PM, May 28, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home