<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

12.03.2007

The cookie-baking part

The rains, oh, the rains. They have come.

Yesterday, while those of you on the East Coast were reveling in fresh snow on the windowsill, we woke to rain thumping on the roof. Despite what you might have heard about Seattle, this isn’t our usual kind of weather. Our rain is more of a fine mist, a la di da sort of rain - definitely not a thump-thump. We went out for croissants and grapefruit juice anyway, in spite of the downpour, but as we huddled uncomfortably under a single umbrella - we seem to have lost our second one; it’s going to be a long, wet season - Brandon turned to me and said, woefully, “Remind me - winter in Seattle isn’t really this bad, is it?”

For the record, no, oh no, it’s not. Winter here is really not bad at all. In fact, it’s quite good. It’s pretty mild, and everything stays green, and you rarely need more than a jacket. And no matter what the weather is up to, misting or thumping or nothing much, it’s always perfect - perfect! - for baking cookies.




Oooh-weee! I do love winter. Or the cookie-baking part of winter, anyway. That’s what it’s all about. If you’re looking for me anytime soon, just follow the sound of the whirring mixer.

Those who were reading last winter might remember that, come late November, a great cloud of sugar settled over this site. I baked, and I baked, and then I made some chocolates, and then I baked some more. (I also made some Brussels sprouts, which don’t technically involve sugar, but they were so sweet and creamy that, in my book, they’re akin to candy.) In the past few years, I’ve come to expect it, this funny urge to produce. I’ve never been one for making a mess - you should have seen me tiptoe around the papier-mâché in grade-school art class - but come December, I itch to get my hands into softened butter and sticky doughs. I can’t imagine, as the nights get shorter and darker and colder, not retreating into the kitchen. It’s warm in there, and steamy, and it smells like cinnamon sticks and chocolate. I just like it so much.

But of course, like it or not, a girl can only eat so many cookies. Of necessity, most of my output will wind up neatly stacked, wrapped in cellophane, packed in tins, and shipped out to places near and far. Cookies make the very best gifts, I think, and really, you wouldn’t believe how satisfying it is to march into the post office with an armload of your own production. (Try it! Nothing else compares, I swear.)

In light of all this, it makes good sense, I think, that for the second year in a row, I’ve decided to give only handmade gifts for the holidays. I even took a pledge. It’s a little scary to commit to such a thing - and even more to say it aloud here, with all of you out there cracking the whip, ready to hold me accountable - but in practice, it’s really pretty easy. After all, when I say that I plan to give only handmade, I don’t mean only handmade by me. (That would require a lot of cookies, people, more than I’ve got time or sanity for. I sweat just thinking about it.) I’ll be giving about a dozen tins of homemade cookies, but beyond that, there are plenty of places to buy handmade gifts, pretty things with history and character and accumulated love. They’re not cookies, but they’re close.

Oh, and speaking of cookies - I know, I know; you’ve been very patient - I’ve got a real whopper for you today. Brandon has officially declared them one of his favorite cookies EVER(!!!), and though you and I both know that he’s a teensy, weensy bit of an exaggerator, in this case, you’d do well to take heed. They’re really tremendous. They might not be the prettiest girls in town, a little speckly and plain, but they make up in flavor - ten-fold, in fact - what they lack in looks.



The cookies in question are from Alice Medrich’s newest book Pure Dessert, which, if I may be so pushy, I would strongly recommend adding to your Christmas wish list. It’s a gorgeous book, for one thing, brimming with inventive takes on cookies, cakes, and other sweets, and I swear, every recipe that woman touches turns to gold. She’s a gem. (Remember those cocoa cookies I wrote about in October? They were hers. See what I mean?) The recipe that follows is ample proof. Medrich calls them Nibby Buckwheat Butter Cookies, but since I have a constitutional aversion to the word nibby, I call them buckwheat butter cookies with cocoa nibs. Either way, whatever you call them, get ready, because if you’re not careful, they’ll claim a permanent hold on your kitchen.

Which, actually, on second thought, wouldn’t be so bad. They’re crisp, delicate, and intensely buttery, and like any cookie worth its salt, they melt instantly on the tongue. I ordinarily associate buckwheat flour with breakfast and pancakes and blini, but folded into cookie form, it becomes effortlessly sweet, nutty and toasty, as though it were meant to be there all along. The nibs, for their part, bring a nuttiness of their own - something I’d never really noticed before - not to mention a lovely whiff of bitter chocolate, like Toll House® Morsels for the adult set. They’re ingenious cookies all around: smart and surprising and utterly, utterly seconds-worthy. And, heavens to Betsy, would you believe it, they get even better with age. That means, you know, that in the time it takes you to bake a few other types of cookies too and pack them all up in a pretty tin and send them to wherever, they’re actually getting tastier. Good lord, I love that. Hello, happy holidays.



Buckwheat Butter Cookies with Cocoa Nibs

Adapted from Alice Medrich’s Pure Dessert

If it’s at all possible, I would urge you to make these cookies at least one day before you want to eat them. Their flavor takes time to develop. On the day they’re made, they’re okay, if a little too buckwheaty - but by the second day, they’re amazing. Just amazing.

1 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¾ cup buckwheat flour
½ lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 cup cocoa nibs
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter with the sugar and salt until smooth and creamy but not fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the nibs and vanilla, and beat to incorporate, scraping down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the flours all at once, and beat on low speed until just incorporated. The mixture will seem very dry and pebbly at first, but keep beating, and it will slowly moisten and darken (as the buckwheat flour is absorbed) and come together. You’ll know it’s ready when it pulls away from the side of the bowl. The dough will be very thick.

Form the dough into a long (12” or 13”) log about 2 inches in diameter. Because the dough is so thick, I find it easiest to do this by pinching off hunks of dough from the bowl and lining them up on a large sheet of plastic wrap to form a log, then massaging and pressing them together to seal. Wrap well and refrigerate at least two hours, or overnight.

If you have refrigerated the dough overnight, remove it from the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours before you want to bake the cookies. (It’s a dense, rich dough, and once it’s very cold, it takes a little while to soften enough to slice without shattering.) Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.

When the dough feels slightly softened - it should have just a hint of give when you press it with a fingertip - unwrap it and place it on a cutting board. Using a thin, sharp knife, carefully cut the dough into ¼-inch-thick slices. Place slices on the prepared baking sheets, spacing each cookie about 1 ½ inches apart. (I put about 15 cookies on each sheet; you won’t be able to bake all the dough at once.)

Bake until cookies just begin to color around the edges, about 12 to 14 minutes, rotating the sheet pans from top to bottom and front to back midway through. Transfer to wire racks, and cool the cookies on the baking sheets (or slide the parchment onto the rack to free up the pans). Cool completely before eating or storing. Repeat with remaining dough.

Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 month. (I thought that seemed a bit long, though, so I stashed mine the freezer. I don’t know - Medrich says they’re fine at room temperature, but I didn’t want to risk it. They’re gifts, so I want to be sure they’re good.)

Yield: about 50-55 small cookies

70 Comments:

Blogger Lael said...

molly, what a treat to click away from your site and come back a few minutes later, remembering the reason why I was there in the first place and discover a new post...and then to hear your description of the northwest winter weather. I am officially homesick!
Thank you so much for this recipe. I am also trying handmade present-giving this season, though not committing outright (bravo!) and for one friend am making a recipe book of memories and things that remind me of her. These cookies are perfect for her! Again, cheers.

8:11 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Jules said...

I wish you could know how amazing it is that you posted this recipe just now, because I was coming online to do a search for ideas for the swiftly approaching annual cookie exchange with my girlfriends, but decided on a whim to see if you had any recent posts on cookies.
I think this doozy will knock everyone's socks off! Thanks!
Jules
House of Jules

8:31 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Shauna said...

It's official. I am so buying that cookbook.

Happy holidays, indeed!

9:12 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Michelle said...

Molly, glad to hear that I'm not the only person in the world who enjoys winter time and spending rainy days in the kitchen. Now, I can probably duplicate those cookies, but sure wish I had some of your Seattle rain here in blustery, arid Oklahoma.

9:44 PM, December 03, 2007  
Anonymous Lindsay said...

Michelle, I wish I could send some rain your way too! I'm down in Portland and we're having the same winter symptoms as Seattle...I'm a native here and it's baaaaad this week.
Molly, without fail, you come through once again! My mom has been looking for something homemade to give out as gifts this year, and I do believe this may be it! She's been making the same, tired (albeit delicious) macadamia nut bread for years, but she's ready for a change. I'm rooting for this one! Thank you!! Hope you're staying dry :) I'm trying to head up to Seattle this week but I-5 is closed due to flooding! Eeesh!

11:05 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Leah said...

I sat down on the couch the other day and wondered, for a brief second, what that fine layer of grit was beneath me. Then I remembered: Of course! It's granulated sugar.

All in the name of handmade for the holidays!

I can't wait to try this recipe. Maybe in a few weeks' time, when I've knocked everything else off the list and the (finely granulated)dust has settled. Meanwhile, happy happy holiday to you! xo

love & butter

11:27 PM, December 03, 2007  
Blogger Victoria said...

I went out and got this cookbook after Luisa published the recipe for whole wheat sables. It is a fabulous book, truly wonderful, filled with recipes for exactly the kind of sweets I like - not overblown, not too sugary but simply perfect. Like the little black dress of dessert books. I'm glad to have another personal recommendation to try. I even got the cocoa nibs for my pantry last weekend, so if I arm myself with some buckwheat flour, I'll be set. On Thanksgiving I went to my friend's house for dinner armed with three cakes I made, stacked one on top of the other in boxes that I got at Broadway Panhandler. Each cake was nestled in its box, on a cardboard round covered in a doily. Oh, I felt like the professional bakery lady, that's for sure. So please share with us where you get your cellophane for your cookies and how you package them to send. I know that would be greatly appreciated by more readers than just me. And shauna, definitely, get this book. Happy holidays.

3:37 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Village Vegan said...

I love winter! Finally, you WANT to turn on your oven and bake all day. What's not to love?

Those cookies look great. I love cookies that include untraditional ingredients. I can't wait to start my holiday baking...I'll definately be making something inspired by your chocolate block.

3:49 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Mercedes said...

Hooray for cookie season. I get the same urge to bake, it's like a form of winter hibernation, wanting to burrow in flour and sugar. I love whole wheat flours in cookies, they can add a nice nutty air.

5:42 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Kate said...

What are cocoa nibs? I live on Whidbey and refuse to take a ferry to buy them, so can you think of a suitable substitution? The cookies sound deee-lish....

5:51 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Just the Right Size said...

Molly,

These sound devine! They will be added to the cookie chaos that is my kitchen!

I would like to ask a favor. You've already influenced my cookbook cache quite a bit. I've learned to really trust your recommendations.

Could you please write up your own "Top Ten Must Have Cookbooks" list and post it somewhere on your blog?

Much, much thanks!

Kathy

6:35 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Just the Right Size said...

Oh, one more thing...

What are cocoa nibs? Are they bittersweet morsels like Nestle or Tolhouse carries?

Thanks!

6:39 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger mary said...

I put that cookbook at the top of my wish list as soon as I read a review that mentioned these cookies. I'm glad to hear that they're every bit as good as I expected. (I just made her cocoa nib pecan cookies from Bittersweet, another one that improves with age.) I've been sitting on my hands to avoid buying Pure Dessert for myself before Christmas, but I think I'll be making these cookies before then.

6:54 AM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous Cenk (Cafe Fernando) said...

I hear you. I just tried (and posted about it on my blog) her Coffee Walnut Cookies recipe and it turned out wonderful! These cookies are next!

7:30 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Dana said...

Sigh, these do look delicious. Initially I didn't think I'd pick up this book (mostly because my cookbook collection is getting a little unwieldy), but between your post and a few others I've seen out there...I think I might have to :).

7:38 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh, gosh! I just want to make these right now, which is impossible to do from my cubicle (though I do have an Easy Bake oven in here, just not cookie making ingredients). Soon.

8:04 AM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So few ingredients! I'm buying the buckwheat flour tonight... may I also say I've made the cocoa cookies three times since your post... and have craved them in-between bakings. I can see where getting this cookbook may become necessary... but I'd rather have it with your running commentary! Alas, I've given up doing all homemade gifts this year -- just a few -- but this may have to be one! Thank you and may the rain stop soon... Whitney

8:35 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Katie B. said...

Molly! I made these a couple weekends ago, but with whole wheat flour (and I tossed hazelnuts in with the nibs) and my husband said the same thing: Best Cookies EVER!!! :)

9:24 AM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reveling in snow? Hmmm, well, here in New Hampshire we have between 8-12 inches of the heavy, gloppy, icy stuff. It's no fun, believe me. Where is summer when I really need it?

The cookies look yummie! As soon as I can raise my car from its snowy depths and get to the market I'll give them a whirl. ;-)

9:45 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Jesse said...

I'm glad you pledged to buy handmade! I'm one of the sponsors for that pledge. I too will be baking way way more this season because of it. Keep the cookie recipes coming! Now if only we could figure out how to handmake the tins to ship them in...

9:46 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Lori in PA said...

Oh, we had creamed Brussels sprouts a la Molly S last night and I just finished a bowl of leftovers for my lunch. They really are just too good.

10:23 AM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous EB of www.spicedish.typepad.com said...

Molly you must cease and desist! I just can't keep up with your baking and ohhh how I want to! Those look just perfect... perfect.

10:31 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Columbia Foodie said...

You are motivated me to start making my Christmas cookies. While it seems a lofty task, I always feel special when I get a homemade something from my loved ones!

Columbia Foodie

10:45 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Casey said...

It always makes me so happy to find a new post here.
You've convinced me: I'm buying this cookbook.

11:22 AM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Nitasha said...

Oh I recently bought this book after attending Alice Medrich's reading (and tasting!)in Boston.
(I loved the olive oil poundcake which she had brought in).

Your site is beautiful - I wish you all the best with your book!

12:05 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Keith said...

Down in Portland we had the same never ending rain. I baked all weekend too. This cookbook just keeps popping for me, so it's going on the list.

12:13 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Hillary said...

I visited Seattle for my first time a week and a half ago and I know what you mean about the lush winters! The trees are so green and pretty and the mountains in the distance are breathtaking, and lucky for me, I missed all the snow and heavy rain .

12:36 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Molly,
The only cocoa nibs I could find were Scharffen Berger semisweet chocolate-covered cacao nibs. $10 for 4.5 ounces. What do you think?

1:16 PM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous Alyssa said...

Hi Molly - I bought Alice Medrich's book after seeing her at the Ferry Building in SF (she even brought samples). There's so many good recipies - I've tried the brownies, flan, bread pudding, coffee-walnut cookies. These cookies will be next (I even have cocoa nibs left over from the brownies). Thanks for your wonderful website.

2:04 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Shaun said...

Molly ~ Thank you for turning me on to yet another cookery book (you've a devillish hand at that!). I got all excited looking at your photos, thinking you had made cookies with pomegranates, but, alas, it was a trick of your gorgeous northwestern light. That is an idea though, isn't it, cookies with pomegranate seeds?

I love buttery cookies and had not yet thought to give them a go with buckwheat flour. Your description of its nutty properties sold me.

Stay warm!

2:24 PM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous Maija said...

ah, silly NW winters, such funny extremes at times.. my parents were trying to get from Portland to the SW coast of Washington yesterday, but couldn't make it. Somehow they got past Centralia (I guess I-5 hadn't been closed yet) & stayed in Olympia for the night. Today - Portland was another world. At lunch, it was delightfully sunny - a coat not needed. Perfect weather for running my errands I suppose, though I glanced longingly at those reclining on park benches to nibble at their lunches.

4:47 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Scott said...

Molly, I am also wondering what cocoa nibs are. Another question I have is what brand of flour do you typically use for cookies? I have always used White Lilly (being the southern girl that I am) but have heard from others that WL might not be the best 'cookie' flour. Any thoughts?

7:12 PM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous kris said...

For those who asked about cocoa nibs, according to http://www.gourmetsleuth.com, they are "perfectly roasted cocoa beans separated from their husks and broken into small bits. They are the essence of chocolate. Nibs add crunchiness and subtle chocolate flavor to baked goods and savory dishes." There's a photo on the site, too.

7:17 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Molly said...

Hi, guys. So glad to see that you're all as enamored with the thought of buckwheat butter cookies as I am! They are terrific.

For those inquiring about cocoa nibs, Kris has it right: they're cocoa beans that have been separated from their husks and broken into little shards. They have a deep, fairly bitter chocolate flavor and a nice crunch. They've been slowly gaining in popularity in the past couple of years, although they can still be hard to find. I buy mine at Whole Foods, usually, and the brands I like best are Scharffen Berger and Dagoba. Just be sure that the nibs you buy are roasted or toasted; raw ones taste exceptionally bitter and, to my palate, pretty yucky. For those who don't have a Whole Foods (or other gourmet store) nearby, you can buy them online from any number of sources, including Dagoba and www.chocosphere.com.

If you can't find plain, roasted cocoa nibs, I would toss in some chopped hazelnuts or pecans instead. Or maybe some grated bittersweet chocolate. Beth, those chocolate-coated nibs would probably be fine. The chocolate might melt a bit, but I think it would work alright. Hope that helps!

Victoria, your cake presentation sounds so pretty! I'm impressed. As for my cookies, I usually find cellophane (clear or red) at Joann Fabrics, my local fabric / craft store. Sometimes those big paper stores have it too, and sometimes grocery mega-stores do too (like Fred Meyer, for the Seattlites out there). I cut a square of cellophane big enough to line the tin with a good amount of overhang, press it into the tin, fill with stacks of cookies, and then fold the cellophane over the top to cover the cookies. I often stick a key of sorts in the tin too, explaining which cookie is which. That's it! Oh, and the tins usually come from thrift shops - I've found some really fun, funky ones. Give 'em a good wash, dry them well, and they're ready to go...

Scott, I usually use King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour, or sometimes Gold Medal. If White Lily has been working fine for you, I'd say go ahead and keep using it. I have heard, though, that because it is made from very soft wheat, it might not have quite enough structure for some cookies. Also, it's lighter than all-purpose flour, weight-wise, so you'll need to use more. You can read more about that here.

8:11 PM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous mindy said...

Molly- Oh oh oh (gush furiously)

Buckwheat cookies- you are right- I've only thought about buckwheat in my dad's pancakes. But I am going to make these- and nibs- I must try.

Oh and the rain- Can't believe I-5 is closed! I would love to share some buckwheat butter cookies with you and Brandon in Portland sometime- but not until driving I-5 ceases to be like scuba-driving. (I drove it 2X on last Sunday)

8:36 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Victoria said...

Molly,

Thanks for the info on packing cookies. I had (unfortunately) to sell my parents house last February and am in the process of unpacking their things in a beautiful old farmhouse upstate where I spend the weekends. I have unearthed a trove of cookie tins my mother had put away in her attic a long time ago, so I shall put them to good use this year. But ones from thrift shops must be totally amazing - a double gift. Thanks again. Have fun planning for Christmas.

5:02 AM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Jessamyn said...

Buckwheat cookies! That's a new one on me, but I'm keen to try it. We usually end up sending biscotti as our mail-out gifts, because they keep and travel better than most of my other favorites.

I'm in the PNW as well, and the weather certainly has been perfect for hunkering inside and baking. I think I hear the buckwheat flour in the fridge calling to me...

9:16 AM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Patricia said...

I love reading your posts, Molly. If you had to choose between all the chocolate cookie recipes that you have posted, which one do you think is the best?

12:33 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Mandy said...

Molly, did you use cocoa powder in the cookies? They seems dark... FYI, this book is on my Christmas wishlist. I hope someone will see the list and grant my wish :D

2:24 PM, December 05, 2007  
Anonymous Kirsten said...

oooh, buttery,nutty and nearly nibby -yum! i just signed up for the book event yesterday, so what a happy coincidence to get a recipe preview. and i recently stocked up with nibs for clotildes chocolate cookies, so i am good to go! hope you are drying out.

3:30 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger UmberDove said...

Molly, you never fail! Tonight is Christmas decorating night at home with Brad, so naturally I needed a new sweet treat to make, and voila, you come through again. I just need to run and grab some nibs and we'll be singing Bing Crosby, sipping hot toddies, and snacking on cookies.

On another note, I hope your side of the city was as glorious as Capital Hill on Saturday - the snow was amazing!

5:48 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Clumsy Cook said...

Molly, I've always wished to move to Seattle, I really think I'd love living there, but I'm constantly reminded by east coasters about the rain, the winters, and such. But hearing your praises gives me a wonderful second opinion! I hope to get out there soon!! And your cookies sound fantastic! ~Robin

6:37 PM, December 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anna S. said...

Molly, I recently discovered your blog while looking for a pappa al pomodoro recipe, and I just wanted to say thank you so much! I loved that recipe, and I've made it three times (!) in the last week and a half. I add about a teaspoon and a hlaf of unsalted butter for even more richness, and a splash of chicken stock for a little more flavor (it reduces out anyway as the tomatoes melt). But WOW. It is so good. So when I realized I was in love with your soup, I came to look at more recent recipes, and tried the hashed sprouts with pine nuts since I had sprouts in my crisper anyway. And it was amazing. I converted my sprout-sceptic husband to the true path of sprout-love. I'm making your sables cookie recipe right now, and just wanted to say thank you many many times for this amazing blog!

6:38 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Monique said...

Molly, where do you buy cocoa nibs? I live in the Seattle area so a local source is fine.

6:57 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Alice Q. said...

That sounds good, and something different too! Happy cookie baking!

8:27 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Wicked Good Dinner said...

Molly, what an absolutely perfect rainy day! Thank you for the yummy recipe idea :-)

8:52 PM, December 05, 2007  
Blogger Molly said...

To those of you who left comments yesterday, I'm sorry for the delay in their posting! For some reason, Blogger didn't send me notification of them, so they were just sitting there in limbo until tonight, when I logged onto Blogger and happened to see them awaiting moderation. Sorry about that...

Patricia, that's a tough question! Yikes. Hmmm. You know, being the serious chocolate fiend that I am, I think my favorite is the chocolate rads. They're intensely chocolatey. But second to that, I'd choose the chewy cocoa cookies (which are so easy that I make them more often than all the others combined!) and these buckwheat cookies with nibs.

Nope, Mandy, there's no cocoa in there. They're just dark because of the buckwheat flour, that's all...

Kirsten, I'll be at that event too! See you there.

Monique, I buy my nibs at Whole Foods. I'll bet you could get them at DeLaurenti too, but they'd probably be really pricey...

7:06 PM, December 06, 2007  
Blogger aubrey said...

molly thanks for such a great idea for gifts. i'd been planning on making loads of chocolate dipped pretzels, but wanted more ideas of treats to make for friends and neighbors. i will try your cookies! yum!

8:45 AM, December 08, 2007  
Blogger Maryann said...

This is my first time visiting your blog and I am enjoying it. I used to live where you are and appreciated how everything stays green. Good for you, making everything homemade! They are the best gifts of all :) Happy Holidays!

4:03 PM, December 08, 2007  
Blogger Goddess Findings said...

Greetings and what a pleasure reading your November posts--It's amazing what a little Lillet and a plane ride can do for one's frame of mind, my heavens! The cookies. As a single, savy, and savory kind of girl, I don't delve into the sweets all that much, mostly because I try not to put myself I the position where I'm face to face with slew of baked goods. But I am seriously thinking about trying these...haunted as I am by the numerous "best cookie ever" accolades peppering your comments. So I guess your secret is give them all away? Ok, but what I want to know is, do you ever just break down and eat the batch while standing next to the stove? Just innocent curiosity!!! Cheers, Janice

12:58 PM, December 09, 2007  
Blogger Julie said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe. I have a bit of buckwheat flour leftover from crepes that I was wondering what to do with as I cleaned out the freezer last night to make room for cookies. Will try these soon, hopefully. I've been wondering if I *really* need to have Medrich's new book, and your endorsement is putting me really close to adding it to my christmas list. What to do?!
Julie

10:04 AM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger Purl's Gurl said...

I spent the last weekend baking up a storm as well, I'll spare you the entire list, but it's 9 cookie recipes and 2 candies and 2 cheesecakes long. It's just what we do this time of year :D

2:43 PM, December 10, 2007  
Blogger aubrey said...

hi molly, i know you are super busy, but i have a quick question..i was just getting ready to make these cookies and noticed the unsalted butter part. would salted butter not work with this recipe? just checking. otherwise i will run to the store. thanks! i am very excited to try these!

3:05 PM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Molly said...

Good question, Aubrey! Salted butter will work just fine, although you'll want to either leave out the salt in the recipe or cut it back a bit. Hope that helps!

3:09 PM, December 11, 2007  
Blogger Veron said...

I made these cookies a couple of months ago, I just finished attending Medrich's class in san francisco and had a copy of her pure desserts. These were yummy!Here's my rendition.

http://kitchenmusings.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/08/a-pantry-revisi.html

5:11 AM, December 12, 2007  
Blogger Christine said...

Hi, I made these on Sunday and have tried them out on a slew of folks: my boyfriend, my housemates, and professors in my department. They are amazing and those who've tried them have been uniformly transfixed: What is in these? I plan to bring these to a cookie exchange tomorrow and then make a batch to take to my bf's parents when we visit for xmas (the first visit -- yikes). I am especially pleased, beyond having a homey yet sophisticated cookie recipe to bring to strangers I very much want to impress, to have a cookie recipe I know I will make for life. Thanks for a perfect recipe heads-up. Alice Medrich is a queen. From Christine in Minneapolis.

7:23 AM, December 13, 2007  
Blogger Cakespy said...

I love buckwheat. The texture on these cookies is just incredible! I have always been a fan of that look.

BTW just read on the PI that you're nominated for best food blog! Congratulations!

8:40 AM, December 14, 2007  
Anonymous Rhonda said...

No Cocoa nibs in my neck of the woods but hazelnuts worked wonderfully

11:09 AM, December 18, 2007  
Anonymous Gemma: www.probonobaker.com said...

In the midst of my holiday shopping I ordered Pure Dessert on your recommendation for myself. It just arrived and it is beautiful!

8:59 AM, December 20, 2007  
Blogger Jillian said...

Molly-- these were fantastic! It was so nice to have something that felt so sophisticated to pack up for people. Much better than santa shaped sugar cookies. I wrapped some of these up with your chocolate covered macaroons and a clementine for each of my labmates. I didn't save enough of these for myself though, so I think I'll have to make another batch when I head back to my parents in NJ tomorrow. (Also, brussel sprout pasta is my new favorite weeknight dinner. you rock my kitchen )

2:58 PM, December 20, 2007  
Blogger anzukko said...

Hi. A belated comment to let you know that after drooling over these cookies for months, I finally had the chance to make them this weekend. I love them. Love them, love them, love them. I have been on a buckwheat kick lately, so this is great to add to my desserts list. (My other favorite buckwheat cookie is a banana chocolate chip one w/ oats. The buckwheat gives it that nice hearty oomph that I so love.) I really cannot stop eating them. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

11:31 PM, February 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These cookies are incredible.
I hope this isn't heresy, but I added fresh lavender.

10:13 AM, November 04, 2008  
Anonymous ksm150ps said...

Gorgeous cookies - I'm going to try them if i can get the ingredients here in the UK. May have to substitute some of the items and see how they turn out.

Thanks for sharing (and making winter seem less gloomy)

Janice

10:06 PM, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Lael said...

I FINALLY made these cookies last night and they are so good! I'm glad I had the self control to put them in a container until today because their flavor definitely improved. They're my new favorite, for sure. Thanks for the recipe!

I mentioned it in my blog post today and sited you and your blog:
http://onehungrysoul.blogspot.com/2009/01/no-ordinary-cookie.html

7:16 PM, January 20, 2009  
Anonymous amy said...

I love to bake however with me working at Narconon drug rehab facility and being a single mother I have very little time to bake. If anyone has any ideas on quick cookie ideas let me know.

1:12 PM, October 20, 2009  
Blogger Aria said...

Molly, I've been dying to make these cookies. I need to make some "asian inspired" cookies for a big event this week. How do you think these would be with a little candied ginger thrown in with the cocoa nibs?

3:42 PM, December 14, 2009  
Blogger Molly said...

Aria, I don't think I would put candied ginger in these. I think it would overpower the delicate flavor of the buckwheat, and I don't know, I'm just afraid it wouldn't taste good, you know?

4:51 PM, December 14, 2009  
Anonymous Lisa said...

So this week we got a (beautiful) new (to us) fridge, and yesterday we finished transferring everything from the old to the new. And in the back of our old freezer I found a quarter log of these cookies! I do not remember when we made them -- praying it was not actually 2007. I'm testing their mettle by baking them up now.

7:19 PM, September 23, 2011  
Anonymous Carol said...

Hello! I just tried this recipe and they taste great, but I have a question! Did yours maintain it's shape quite well and how is this achieved? I've made so many batches and I love scalloped edge cookies but they keep coming out funny! :( Please help! Thank you xx

3:25 PM, November 26, 2014  
Blogger Molly said...

Carol, I wish I knew what to tell you. Mine kept their shape just fine! Are yours spreading? Can you tell me more about what's going wrong? I'll try to help.

2:40 PM, November 30, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home