<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

12.19.2004

Cubic zirconia

Oh, the tenacious grumpiness that is mine!
Everything is a muted gray, inside and out; nothing bad—just subdued, monochromatic. And it's not just the rain. As someone I used to know once said, “Some days are diamonds, and others are cubic zirconia.” In my case, substitute “weeks” for “days,” et voilà.
But:

1. My apartment is so clean that I actually did eat something off the floor, just to be able to say that I had.

2. Kale is unspeakably beautiful, especially when barely wilted with olive oil and lemon. A sunny winter day on a plate. And it makes me feel so virtuous. Seattlites, go visit Willie Green's stand at the extended U-District farmers' (mini-)market, open every Saturday (except Christmas Day) through January 22, 10am to noon. What a nice guy, and what pretty potatoes and soulful leafy greens.



3. Happy birthday, Keaton! Last night, in the smoky sultry candle-lit Alibi Room, I was momentarily entertaining and engaging and non-grumpy, and that instant was recorded for posterity:



4. Tonight Kate is cooking a Pike Place Market dinner for me.



In exchange, and because I adore her, I’m reading her application essays for business school. She’s brilliant, an inspiration, a go-getter. And she’s steaming mussels. Bread will be dipped, juices slurped. I love being cooked for.

5. I’m boarding a plane bound for San Francisco on Tuesday night, armed with a bag of Hoppin’ John’s stone-ground grits (manna from the South, courtesy of my freezer), a jar of sourdough starter for Mom (who thinks she wants to bake her own bread but will likely be too busy; I indulge her nonetheless), a dozen jars of apple butter, and a handful of recipes. You, dear reader, will of course reap the benefits, albeit in a two-dimensional format. The family menu-planner is on her way, in more ways than one.

Soon.
[Sigh.]



5 Comments:

Blogger amylou said...

Cubic zirconian weeks all around. I like that comparison because, although c.z. doesn't shine like diamonds, it's still pretty in a ridiculous kind of way. And most grumpy days are hardly without their sparkly sides. In fact, when things are bad, and there is no chocolate to wear, why not embrace the mediocrity and don some "pink ice" jewelry? Just the name "pink ice" is bound to be a mood enhancer, no?

1:02 AM, December 20, 2004  
Blogger Pusekatt said...

CZ days and weeks? What wise words!
Can't wait to find an opportunity to use the phrase in conversation, thereby making myself sound sooo very witty ;-)
BTW, it is great to be back home and reading cool blogs like yours.
I hope you have a great time in San Francisco and that you provide many details of your menu planning - mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Have a great Christmas...

3:29 PM, December 20, 2004  
Blogger Molly said...

Thanks, you two! Happy holidays, and may there be diamonds, diamonds everywhere! If not, "pink ice" will do, I suppose. But let's pull for the real thing.

10:19 PM, December 20, 2004  
Blogger Pusekatt said...

Ok, gotta say that my boy bought me white gold and diamond earrings a week ago. I could have worn them for Christmas but I decided to save them for my wedding in April. I did decide to leave them at the shop to avoid temptation.
*sigh* here's hoping for more diamonds to come my way :-) but I must say that pink ice would do me just fine!

2:59 PM, December 21, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading your blog now because my sister bought me your first book for my Kindle. Loved it! Once, in Seattle, we went to Falafel King, it's down there by the Pike Market, somewhere. I had the best Greek salad, dressing had raw garlic, it was wonderful! Have you ever been there? Could you blog about that salad dressing? charlesandronda@yahoo.com

6:52 AM, March 05, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home