<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

8.03.2004

Free range

Just walked down to Scarecrow Video to return discs 1 and 2 of Six Feet Under and pick up discs 3 and 4. Am so excited. Think I'll try to prolong the gratification by only letting myself watch two episodes at a sitting. Can hardly wait. Good thing I don't have a television, so I can't get this irrationally excited about too many other shows.

But this is all a tangent. The real meat of the deal is that, as I was walking home, I saw a chicken. I was on 11th Ave NE, near 56th St.--no barns in sight, just some asphalt--when a brown-and-grayish chicken came nonchalantly hopping out of someone's yard and onto the sidewalk a couple of feet in front of me. She trotted along for a few seconds and then nonchalantly hopped back onto the lawn. I was caught off guard and a little startled, but then I was all jealousy: someone nearby is probably getting fresh eggs straight from their backyard, and I'm not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Jim said...

I've often shared that same observation, and same reaction (jealousy), in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn. I used to stumble upon the odd rooster and hen right off of Bedford Ave.

So far, I've had no luck in convincing my wife that chickens would make good pets.

7:08 AM, November 13, 2009  
Blogger Callie said...

Molly, did you know that the title sequence for Six Feet Under was filmed in Seattle? The scene where the clasped hands part, with the bird fluttering and the lone tree on the hill, was filmed on Kite Hill in Magnuson Park. Lovely. How I miss Seattle....

9:47 AM, January 18, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home